Issue with HID kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vinyldecals

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The girl gave me an HID kit from Retro shop and installed them last Saturday. Everything seemed fine, but I am getting a low beam headlight out warning. Isn't the relay harness supposed to prevent this warning?

Then yesterday we hop in the truck to head home from work and the passenger headlight is out. Today, I took everything apart and swapped ballasts. Passenger side still did not work. So then I swapped bulbs and relocated the ballasts to inside the engine compartment(so I can easily swap them without removing the headlights in the future). That seemed to fix the problem, but I am unsure on what the issue was. I am still getting the headlight out warning when starting the truck. The only other thing I can think of is something is wacky with the relay harness. I've checked and double checked all grounds. Any ideas?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
The lamp out comes up when the resistor isn't doing its job. that can occur from a few things:
- grounding issue
- resistor plugged in backwards
- pin on the plug for the resistor pushed out, thus not making a good connection
- dead resistor.

Is the resistor getting hot?

On the swapping of parts, did you move the ground when you moved the ballast?

OP
OP
vinyldecals

vinyldecals

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Didn't check the resistor and it is behind the headlight, so can't check without taking the front end apart. I checked the pins on the plugs and they were fine. If the resistor is plugged in backwards, then the harness is incorrect. There is only a tab on one side of the connector to lock into. What color wire is the plug supposed to align to on the harness for the passenger side resistor, black or red? I though about swapping this piece, but when I did it did not seem to hold together tightly because the lock was only on one side. Is it ok to swap this around without doing electrical damage?

When I moved the ballasts, new grounds were used for them, but the resistors used the same grounds. Here are some picks I took when the front end was apart - Steven Toomey's (toomeycustoms)'s Library | Photobucket

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
2013-12-31115637.jpg

that plug is backwards.

I had a small amount of these that went out about a month ago that where wired backwards. Of course, I caught one when it was headed out, figured it was a fluke, fixed it. I have seen maybe....6 that went out like this - somehow when they came in from my supplier, they were flipped. ARGH - sorry about the issue there, but an easy fix, flip it. It will hold - that plug is tight to begin with. It won't do any damage the way it is, as its basically grounding a ground. no power is going through it.

On th ballasts, taking a stab in the dark, I'd assume the original ground wasn't as solid as the second one.

OP
OP
vinyldecals

vinyldecals

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That would explain it. She bought the kit a little before Thanksgiving. The ballast was using that same ground as this resistor, but is now using a factory fender bolt. You can see it in one of the pics. I'll take the front end apart again and swap the plug, uggghhh.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ya my resistor plugs also came backwards, luckily I caught that during install, now im having weird issues with them turning on period