'04 4.7 has no mojo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you go gears, go 4.56.....that will wake her up but around 3K for 4X4.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is also an intake adapter to mount the Eaton blower from an early 00's cobra mustang if you're feeling especially froggy.
I've seen you mention this in a few threads and kind of passed it by as being a bit of a unicorn idea. But the adapter plates and a used Eaton m112 would only run around $1,000. The manifold wouldn't be ridiculous either. It's been done once already, so tech help should be available. Honestly, it might be the simplest option. Certainly cheaper than an engine swap. But the nv3500 might be an issue then.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'd love to see one get finished/fleshed out completely. I always thought the 4.7 had potential had it not been neglected by both factory (both in certain design features AND upgrade-ability) and aftermarket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not going to promise to be the one to make your dream come true. I do like the idea but I'm not in a position to do whatever I feel like.

I already own an 8V71 blower. Shame that wouldn't fit.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not going to promise to be the one to make your dream come true. I do like the idea but I'm not in a position to do whatever I feel like.

I already own an 8V71 blower. Shame that wouldn't fit.

Oh negative, that isn't MY dream lol. My dream would be to put large displacement hemi in my truck and have everything work right lol. There's a reason I have a 5.7 and not a 4.7 lol.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh negative, that isn't MY dream lol. My dream would be to put large displacement hemi in my truck and have everything work right lol. There's a reason I have a 5.7 and not a 4.7 lol.
My dream would be a 440 and dual quads on a tunnel ram.

FWIW, I didn't buy the truck for the engine. I didn't even know anything about the engine when I bought it. Got the truck because it's as close to a real truck as I could get on my budget-- manual windows, manual locks, manual transmission, manual mirrors, no frills to complicate things.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not in that truck LMAO, not if you want it to act semi normal. Now a pre '94? It's a bolt in and the truck is lighter.
Normal? Pfffffft! All I'd lose is cruise control. Just have to wait nine more years for the truck to be emissions exempt here. Or move to a county that doesn't do emissions. That's why it's a dream, not a goal or plan. The goal is just to be able to get up a hill at speed in 5th.

An alternative dream, one with a hint of feasibility, is a V-10 swap. A V-10, 6-speed 1500 4x4 would be sweet. Not sure the front diff would like that.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Normal? Pfffffft! All I'd lose is cruise control. Just have to wait nine more years for the truck to be emissions exempt here. Or move to a county that doesn't do emissions. That's why it's a dream, not a goal or plan. The goal is just to be able to get up a hill at speed in 5th.

An alternative dream, one with a hint of feasibility, is a V-10 swap. A V-10, 6-speed 1500 4x4 would be sweet. Not sure the front diff would like that.
Hemi swap would actually be easier than that swap lol

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right. Which pretty much brings us back to tweaking the 4.7 since any swap would cost more than just buying a different truck.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about a centrifugal blower? Probably similar upfront cost to the Eaton, but much simpler to package. Not sure if they produce any power in the 2,000-2,500 range where I'd need it.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice! Not bad price wise either. Didn't think anyone had ever bothered nor continued to bother to make anything like that for the 4.7.
Yeah, the price is right in line with other blower kits. Of course, more mainstream kits come with new blowers instead of the used one I think is in this kit. Still, one decent tax return could pretty much cover it. Having it all in one bundle with the ability to throw it on in an afternoon is a huge plus compared to trying to sort it out on my own.

I need to start a gofund me. :D

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I figured the results would at least put it at stock hemi levels, but it's a little low...wonder if the lack of intercooler has something to do with it. Probably why Airram used the Cobra version:

s-l1600.jpg

Plenty of room behind the grille and bumper for an external one though