04 Ram 1500 U Joints, are they all the same on the truck? How Many ? What brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I am thinking about replacing my U joints though out the truck, How many are there front and rear and are they all the same part # or are there different ones used though out the truck?

What is the best brand? I was thinking of ordering Splicer, Grease able or not non grease able?

I am guessing rear D Shaft takes same front and rear, but what about front? of truck.

Any tips are replacing them?

Thanks

PS Truck is 4 WD 5.7 auto SLT Ext cab.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Short bed you have 2 ion the back, Long bed you have 3.

There is 1 in the front.

All are the same part number, and depending whether or not you are **** about your maintenance may dictate if you want greasable or not. If you don't mind slipping under the truck ever so often, then get serviceable ones. Otherwise don't.

Also, why do you want to change them? This is the kind of part that has little impact on truck performance or driveability unless they are totally worn out or broken...

If you live in Rust Country like I do, they are the parts you try to avoid having to mess with as you can end up in bigger trouble than what you started with in the first place...

Just saying.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been going though the truck, I believe my rear one is starting to go bad, figured Id change them all at the same time.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If the fasteners are not too rusted and crusty you should be fine.
A good set of torches may come in handy if they are.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I went with Spicer 5-1330x non grease able, I replaced all 3 of them ( 2 in the Rear shaft and 1 in the front shaft. Honestly when I took the shafts out the factory Joints were still in pretty good shape. The Joints were cheap so I just replaced them.