RAM CARES - Please Read - Quality, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D A12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Cummins
It has been almost a month since I took delivery of my 2024 3500 Longhorn Limited 6.7 HO. I have done some light/moderate pulling and a longer road trip hunting and have amassed 2500 + miles.

I am starting this thread with the hope the RAM Cares team will read it and hopefully respond. It is not meant to be a ***** secession but a post to point out all aspects of the quality we are seeing as owners of these vehicles. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I will start the process.

The Good: The interior fit and finish is awesome. The appearance and detail are as good as any luxury car I have owned over the years. We refer to trucks like this as "Texas Cadillacs". The paint quality is excellent for a black finish. I was surprised by the uncountable number of blue inspection marks on the truck. Every time I wash it, I find more. The truck is a pulling machine and does this very well. Plenty of power to get the job done.

The Bad: Many states have higher speed limits. Anywhere it is 80 mph or above you have to remember these are not sports cars. At speeds of 80 mph or higher the hood has some interesting vibration and movements going on. Not insignificant. The corners of the hood are clearly lifting. The remote TPMS for my 5th wheel tires have been troublesome. The dealer has yet to get them to work. Hopefully today.

The Ugly: On day one of ownership, I noticed the body lines between the box and cab are not aligned. The box is shifted about 1/2 inch to the right side of the truck and is too narrow to match the cab. I pointed this out to the dealer and they agree, there is something amiss. Yesterday the dealership tried to adjust this but with no success. The box has alignment pins to set it onto the frame and then anchor bolts to hold it in place. The only solution was to enlarge the alignment pin holes, which I declined due to potential rust issues in the future. Inspection of several other trucks on the lot revealed the same issue. The boxes are constructed with a misalignment to the right. The dually boxes are more exaggerated than the single rear wheels. I am curious how many others have noticed this or are not even aware of this?

OK, let's see what everyone has.

D

Attachments

• PXL_20231016_234205480.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231016_234205480.MP.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 91
  • PXL_20231016_234238696.jpg
    PXL_20231016_234238696.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20231024_144927.jpg
    IMG_20231024_144927.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 89

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I’ve got a ‘23 SO Bighorn, actually noticed something after having bought the truck new 3 weeks ago, while giving it a good bath. Some discoloration on a plastic chrome piece on the front end. Not gonna complain though, these trucks are mass produced by humans and they are all gonna have something that’s not perfect about them. However, dealer did say it can be replaced under warranty. I love my truck. RamCares has actually been very helpful to me in regards to my past experience with my ‘22.
1699452750722.png

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Ehhh...Not to make light of your post, because you make some fair points, but...Buy another truck, any brand, any model. You WILL find issues if you look hard enough. I will take credit for being the most **** person on the block, and I can make a list of things on my '21 that raise an eyebrow....But you just have to say, "Who cares?". EVERY new car/truck will have that. Contrary to the faded memory of some of the old guys, the earlier vehicle had issues, too. If you want it perfect when it's delivered, you'll need hand-built...Think Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce, etc...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 19 and the 22 both had/have the hood lifting at high speeds. Absolutely a design issue.
THERE WAS a TSB out for the Hood lifting problems when the new 2019 5th Gens came out. When I first got my truck, it vibrated in the wind LIKE a paper airplane, good thing had a hood latch. Dealership did the TSB, which involved them putting some type of filler on the underside of the hood, letting sit all night to cure, putting padding back on and truck returned. It still does flutter a bit, BUT remember, these are "aluminum" hoods, not steel, just saying. TSB helped some.

Just my experience on my 2019, which was one of the first early built units from April 2018.

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's more than just on the 5th gens as well. My 18 2500 Ram has the hood lift issue. It seems more exaggerated than my previous 2016 3500 (though it was slightly noticeable) and was no issue at all on my 2018 1500.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had an 18 HD Laramie and have a 22 HD Ltd Longhorn, both Cummins. Neither of them had hood shake, both have plastic bug shields, if that matters.

I also have issues with the trailer TPMS sensors. They are intermittent, at best.

I'll have to check the box alignment. I've never noticed it if it's off.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ehhh...Not to make light of your post, because you make some fair points, but...Buy another truck, any brand, ...
As far as I can tell, the model of truck he bought stickers for close to $90k if he has NO options. I think expecting the hood not to flutter and the alignment of the body parts to be OK out of the factory is acceptable if you spent $90k on any brand of vehicle. Coming here to give a report on what you see wrong with the truck is exactly what I see as the purpose of this forum. Maybe someone else had the hood flutter and already had a great dealer that resolved it and can help this guy resolve it. Maybe someone else knows how or why the body panels aren't aligning (my front bumper is almost 1" off center and when I noticed it I was 300 miles into ownership and the dealership said "how do we know you didn't hit something in the 1 week you've had this"?). Or someone else can help him with the TPMS issue. Telling someone they shouldn't expect a perfect vehicle after spending $90k on a truck (or even $40k on a cheap model) isn't helpful. All of these brands should be able to deliver quality and troubleshoot the issues when they pop up. Hopefully BEFORE warranties run out, unlike my recent string of bad luck (fuel tank "failed", headliner leak, sunvisor fell off, exhaust leak all at 2.5 years 46k miles). Accepting poor workmanship is fine for some, it's not for others.

OP
OP
Big D A12

Big D A12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Cummins
The Bad: TTPMS - Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System

My truck and coach (Momentum 398M) have been to the dealer twice now to address the TTPMS not working. The first visit was an issue with the sending units. The valve stems did not have enough thread to swallow the thickness of the aluminum rim. This was not too difficult of a problem to solve as just the valve stem is available. It slides in and out easily.

The 398M is almost 44ft long with a triple axle configuration. The truck receiver for the TTPMS sensors could not connect to them because of the length, I was told. This is very disappointing to me as I was looking forward to a TTPMS that actually worked. Advertising for the 3500 shows multiple trailers at or over this length. There is nothing mentioned in the sales literature about the size of trailer this works with, or not. BUT, the owners manual says trailers over 30ft are not recommended.

RAM needs to provide a work around for this issue! There are many of us pulling trailers over 30ft. Especially with a 3500 model.

D

Page 284 2024 RAM 3500 Owners Manual.JPG

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's an issue even for aftermarket TPMS systems... same as with the rear observation cameras. My previous 43' fifth wheel required me to run a booster at the nose of the trailer that was hardwired to the rear camera to reduce the distance between the wireless signal of the monitor and the camera. It wouldn't even receive the signal otherwise.

I think the only thing that Ram (or the aftermarket) could do would be to add a signal booster to the trailer itself and move the receiver on the trailer closer to the truck. There seems to be limitations with the wireless signals when moving. I dunno if that's available but if not, it might be a good opportunity for the aftermarket.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The TPMS problem does seem like an opportunity for a 3rd party to develop some sort of signal booster that could work to bridge the distance problem with a device that would mount on the trailer and use power from the trailer hookups.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0

My truck and coach (Momentum 398M) have been to the dealer twice now to address the TTPMS not working. The first visit was an issue with the sending units. The valve stems did not have enough thread to swallow the thickness of the aluminum rim. This was not too difficult of a problem to solve as just the valve stem is available. It slides in and out easily.

The 398M is almost 44ft long with a triple axle configuration. The truck receiver for the TTPMS sensors could not connect to them because of the length, I was told. This is very disappointing to me as I was looking forward to a TTPMS that actually worked. Advertising for the 3500 shows multiple trailers at or over this length. There is nothing mentioned in the sales literature about the size of trailer this works with, or not. BUT, the owners manual says trailers over 30ft are not recommended.

RAM needs to provide a work around for this issue! There are many of us pulling trailers over 30ft. Especially with a 3500 model.

D

View attachment 531739
There are aftermarket TPMS systems with 6 sensors and repeaters. But I am not sure RAM has them. You may want to check with Ram parts guys and/or look around online. I haven't found any that work with the OEM sensors and our trucks TPMS.

But before you do anything else have the dealer swap out the batteries in the trailer tire sensors. When I got my truck in 2021 the 4 brand new sensors that I ordered with it all had weak batteries.

Hood noise, vibration and lifting? WTF is that about? If my truck's hood was doing that it would be back in the dealer's shop pronto

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That's an issue even for aftermarket TPMS systems... same as with the rear observation cameras. My previous 43' fifth wheel required me to run a booster at the nose of the trailer that was hardwired to the rear camera to reduce the distance between the wireless signal of the monitor and the camera. It wouldn't even receive the signal otherwise.
I had the same problem with my RV's TPMS signals and the RV's wireless rear camera. This was back in 2015 when I bought the truck and RV but at the time, I was able to find signal repeaters for both wireless systems. I mounted the signal repeaters in my RV that would rebroadcast both RF signals so the monitors in the truck's cab could better hear the RF signals.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

D

View attachment 531739
My double axle trailer is only 22' long, and I still have issues. I have read of people with the longer RV's like yours moving the sensor pickup to the back of the truck or even to the RV frame itself.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Abso Jmrs!! For 90k starting should be done right and checked before it rolls out of the factory.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 19 and the 22 both had/have the hood lifting at high speeds. Absolutely a design issue.
Had this issue with my 2019 as well. Technician adjusted the hood latch and hood stops and it has never fluttered since.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 101693 miles.

Left-lane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently purchased a 2023 REBEL. I don't understand why RAM decided to stop putting full inner fenders on the trucks. My 2018 had them and they served quite well. On the 2023 RAM installs partial inner fender liners, but they are open on top allowing all sorts of debris to accumulate behind the liner. I'm in search of a good after-market solution. Suggestions?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently purchased a 2023 REBEL. I don't understand why RAM decided to stop putting full inner fenders on the trucks. My 2018 had them and they served quite well. On the 2023 RAM installs partial inner fender liners, but they are open on top allowing all sorts of debris to accumulate behind the liner. I'm in search of a good after-market solution. Suggestions?
Ram did it like other manufacturers did it...to take cost out of the vehicle. My 2010 and 2014 Big Horns came with them, but became optional in later years (except, I think, on the Limiteds).

My son purchased a set of rear full liners on line. I don't remember the cost, but if you do a search you should find them easily.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 101816 miles.