04 won't start or take a charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monty16288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck will not crank battery won't take a charge strange humming sound coming from underneath dash on left side like it is behind emergency brake release cannot find noise checked battery and fuses all are good I don't know if it is a solenoid stuck on everytime you hit the key and turn it noise stops even touching power seat button and it stops any help would be greatly appreciated

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck will not crank battery won't take a charge strange humming sound coming from underneath dash on left side like it is behind emergency brake release cannot find noise checked battery and fuses all are good I don't know if it is a solenoid stuck on everytime you hit the key and turn it noise stops even touching power seat button and it stops any help would be greatly appreciated

Good morning, Monty.

Welcome to Ram Forum.

What is the battery voltage measured with a digital multimeter?

And when you say the battery won't take a charge, are you referring to it won't take a charge from the alternator or from an external battery charger?

There is an inline fuse between the alternator and the battery. If you follow the large cable from the positive terminal that comes from the alternator, you will find the inline fuse.

OP
OP
monty16288

monty16288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning, Monty.

Welcome to Ram Forum.

And when you say the battery won't take a charge, are you referring to it won't take a charge from the alternator or from an external battery charger?

There is an inline fuse between the alternator and the battery. If you follow the large cable from the positive terminal that comes from the alternator, you will find the inline fuse.

. hello it won't take a charge from a battery charger and only had a test light but it still makes the weird humming sound under the dash drivers side and thanks for the welcome

OP
OP
monty16288

monty16288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning, Monty.

Welcome to Ram Forum.

What does it look like is it covered up

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have the battery tested if its bad and voltage is low relays and many other things tend to click

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What does it look like is it covered up

If you're referring to the inline fuse, my '21 Warlock employs fusible links for the alternator and starter motor, AFAIK.

I would suspect the 180A fusible link is for the starter and the 120A is for the alternator. I may be corrected by someone with more experience in this area.

Regardless of which fusible link is used for the alternator, a quick check with a multimeter should confirm them both as operational or not.

The fusible links are attached to the positive battery terminal, in case that wasn't obvious. :cool:

I'm not certain if your 2004 is the same if someone could comment on that?

2021 Ram fusible links.jpg

OP
OP
monty16288

monty16288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're referring to the inline fuse, my '21 Warlock employs fusible links for the alternator and starter motor, AFAIK.

I would suspect the 180A fusible link is for the starter and the 120A is for the alternator. I may be corrected by someone with more experience in this area.

Regardless of which fusible link is used for the alternator, a quick check with a multimeter should confirm them both as operational or not.

The fusible links are attached to the positive battery terminal, in case that wasn't obvious. :cool:

I'm not certain if your 2004 is the same if someone could comment on that?

View attachment 527276

I may have found the problem ignition switch on the left side of column is humming sounds like it is still engaged

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may have found the problem ignition switch on the left side of column is humming sounds like it is still engaged

Have you verified the fusible links?

There may be a problem with the ignition switch but that shouldn't cause a problem with charging the battery.

The very first place to start is by testing the battery, regardless of whatever other components you might suspect as being faulty. That will require a digital multimeter (DMM) and a load tester.

If you don't have access to both, auto parts stores will often test the battery for free. Many electronic components don't deal well with low voltage and may generate unusual noises and/or behaviours.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disconnect the battery and try charging it that way. If the system is drawing power sometimes the battery chargers get unhappy and don’t like charging.