06-08 "ebay" headlights decent?? or another alternative?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i hear horror stories about "ebay headlights" but i believe that is more in reference to guys wanting to wire in fancy hid's or LED's mostly on 4th gens...

or...is the above completely incorrect, and all of these are junk, and i'll instantly regret these.
New For 2006 2007 2008 Dodge RAM 1500/2500/3500 Black Headlights Clear Reflector | eBay

or..any other options?

i don't want to have to wire anything, just plug and play, or a simple housing that accepts the factory sockets are fine with me.

toolanddiemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't buy those!!!!!! I bought them and they had condensation within a month total waste of money. I ended up getting spyders with projectors and an hid kit pre installed they don't leak but the projector performance sucks you would think for 300$ they would decent lights. Anyhow. I honestly don't know what a good option is for a good stock setup. You probably want the black background instead of chrome? There might be some good retrofit guys out there that sell the stock style?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Don't get them. In 2 months they started turning yellow and some soft of film was peeling from them. Haven't leaked, but don't look too good.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys, thats the feedback I needed.!

Was in a fender bender and driver light was demolished. So wondered if I could replace the pair with something else. Guess I better just have the shop order me an oe one.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best way to go if you want the black housings, is to take apart an oem set of headlights and paint the chrome black. You usually have to put them in the oven to do this. But really pretty much all headlights you can get off of eBay are junk. Best thing to do is modify an oem set the way you want.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best way to go if you want the black housings, is to take apart an oem set of headlights and paint the chrome black. You usually have to put them in the oven to do this. But really pretty much all headlights you can get off of eBay are junk. Best thing to do is modify an oem set the way you want.

heating and peeling apart OE...and then getting them to re seal, seems like a pretty steep learning curve lol

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
heating and peeling apart OE...and then getting them to re seal, seems like a pretty steep learning curve lol

It's really not. On my last truck it was a popular thing to do and I did it to two sets. Wasn't a walk in the park, but it wasn't difficult either.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure, I've never seen any feedback on them.

Demon hemi would be a good one to ask, I think he's got like 30 pairs of headlights or something like that lol.
I messaged him. Think he has a 4th gen though?.
But maybe he knows a good company to deal with

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are several threads on here about lights. I just bought a set from spyder. A lot of guys say that you need to run a bead of silicone around the light because the factory seal can sometimes leak causing moisture in the light. It all depends on what you want to spend and what options you want.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are several threads on here about lights. I just bought a set from spyder. A lot of guys say that you need to run a bead of silicone around the light because the factory seal can sometimes leak causing moisture in the light. It all depends on what you want to spend and what options you want.

The extra bead sounds like a good idea.. im sure this is a repeat thread, but the mobile version of this site is awful, and despite others claims, I find the search box is beyond useless, and doesnt even open half the time for me. If there is a dupe thread somewhere specifically for the 06 - 08 please feel free to drop it here.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'm working on retrofitting my stock 03 lights. I've already pulled them apart and repainted the inside. My problem is the lenses and really scratched and faded. What's a good option for just the lens cover? I was thinking about buying a cheap eBay set and retrofitting them with an hid projector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I'm working on retrofitting my stock 03 lights. I've already pulled them apart and repainted the inside. My problem is the lenses and really scratched and faded. What's a good option for just the lens cover? I was thinking about buying a cheap eBay set and retrofitting them with an hid projector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the whole light or no light, if you could just replace the lense I would have done that almost a decade ago. The issue we run into on this is there's really no market to sell "just the lense", most people do not have the ability or know how to separate the light assembly, they just buy new lights. Separating the lights is not a walk in the park, plan to spend a good full weekend doing this job, if you rush it you won't be happy (speak from experience), tell the other half that you're commandeering her kitchen (if your lucky enough to have one that actually uses it), oven, couple butter knives and patience will be the only tools you need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't buy those!!!!!! I bought them and they had condensation within a month total waste of money. I ended up getting spyders with projectors and an hid kit pre installed they don't leak but the projector performance sucks you would think for 300$ they would decent lights. Anyhow. I honestly don't know what a good option is for a good stock setup. You probably want the black background instead of chrome? There might be some good retrofit guys out there that sell the stock style?

To get this thread back on track...
May I ask, are these exact ones the ones you got? This seller? Or just ones like it?
Usually ebay feedback goes to hell on garbage products, and this guys feedback is fairly high?

Not to be "that guy" that asks a question, and then refutes answers, lol. Not my intent at all. You were the only 3rd gen guy that specifically said you had these.

toolanddiemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To get this thread back on track...
May I ask, are these exact ones the ones you got? This seller? Or just ones like it?
Usually ebay feedback goes to hell on garbage products, and this guys feedback is fairly high?

Not to be "that guy" that asks a question, and then refutes answers, lol. Not my intent at all. You were the only 3rd gen guy that specifically said you had these.
I tried looking them up in my ebay history but they were erased I can't remember if that was they exact add but from my understanding and from what I've read on other threads is that most of the cheaper lights in that price range have issues weather it's fading or leaking and most of them are spec d or vip moto I personally wouldn't risk it spyder and recon make better lights but your going to pay twice the price or more and there going to be projector lights I was just looking on ebay and there aren't really any good options for good non projector style housings. If I had to do it all over again I would have had my stock ones retrofitted but....they were in good shape and I sold them. In your case you need to replace a broken light so not sure Mabey projector lights you will have more options up to you and how much $ you want to spend. If you do go the cheaper route just make sure you silicone the seal.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Seems there are more headlights for sale on eBay than there are trucks on the road.
I've been hesitating to buy new lights for probably 2 years now. I want new lights, and I don't want to pay a lot, and I'm just too chicken to pull the trigger because there is just way too much product to sift through.