06 Hemi quad 4x4 cat back exhaust issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluewingjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I have an 2006 1500 Hemi quad 4x4 with the ezb motor, this is the one that drops 4 cylinders when the engine is not under heavy load. I bought a Gibson cat back system for it. I went to install the system and see the 2 cats behind the manifolds the piping goes down to the Y pipe then to what looks like a big round muffler then from that back to another smaller muffler then out. The system seems to bolt from the back of the first muffler.. Do I leave that first big muffler or cut it out and add a piece of straight pipe in its place? A little confused here..

Any help would be appreciated.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think that first one right after the y pipe is a resonator to help reduce drone when in 4cyl mode. You could try it with it on, then if you dont like it, take it out later.

OP
OP
B

bluewingjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats what I have determined after talking to the rep from Jegs where I got the system and the dodge people. We are just leaving it out and putting a piece of straight pipe in place of it..

Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently have the MagnaFlow cat back which took out the first muffler, and have one open flow muffler after the cats. I have the same setup as you do, an 06 1500 4x4 quadcab. I couldn't stand the MDS dropping and adding the 4 cylinders, in MN that can be dangerous during certain weather conditions. I used the superchips programmer to disable the MDS. I didn't see any drop in gas mileage and it allows me better throttle control during bad weather.

OP
OP
B

bluewingjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up just replacing the resonator with a piece of straight pipe, works good though I would like it a bit louder..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357