08+ steering fail after 10k miles? Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey all ram 2500 owners

I upgraded to the 08.5+ steering back in November when I did my leveling kit and thuren track bar. I keep hearing a clicking sound every time I am driving, when i hit small bumps, when I finish coming to a stop, when I take off from a stop, its really bad when I am going down a hill and turning the steering wheel. Just every time the suspension has to flex you can hear it in the front end

I just changed my ball joints, wheel hubs, and axle u joints.

I grabbed the center link on the steering and I can move it back and forth pretty easy. I torqued down the tie rods again to 95ft lbs but still play.

Is that center link supposed to move? I cant imagine there should be any play in there. I had this steering on for less then 10k miles. Will Mopar warranty it if it is defective? I ordered it through amazon if that matters

I upgraded the steering so I wouldnt have problems like this. Not sure what is going on

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you looked at the sway bar bushings and links? If you have someone dry park the steering wheel slowly while you look underneath its a pretty easy way to determine whats moving and what shouldn't. Also try lifting the front end up and place jack stands under the frame. Wiggle the tie rods with your hands at 3 and 9 and the ball joints at 12-6, and both hand on the top of the wheel at 12. Also using a long bar, pry upwards underneath the tire like a lever.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357