09 Dodge ram AC wont hold charge and leaking freon out the Condensation drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09dodgeramhawaii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So a couple of days ago my AC stopped working in my truck.. Went from nice and cold to HOT. I thought just recharging it would work and it did for a day and then again nothing.

I bought some AC Freon with the UV dye to try and see where it was leaking. I looked all throughout the AC system and couldnt see anything, then it hit me..

I saw all of the dye was coming out of the AC condensation drain.. I cant see any from inside the passenger compartment. I think I know what the fix is going to be but before I have to tear the dash out to change the condensor I wanted to ask some experts to see if its an easier fix.

Thanks for all your help

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
let's see some pics..
How much of this dye have you added? I don't think I've ever seen come out of the condensate drain. If that is where it's coming from, it is your evaporator that leaking.

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins
Time to remove your dashboard. And it's really not that difficult to do its just intimidating to most. Good luck

05 Ram 5.9 Cummins Sundown Audio Old School PPI

OP
OP

09dodgeramhawaii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you guys are right.. It wasnt difficult took me about 4 hours to have it removed. It was actually really interesting as I got the new evaporator for a 2009 and its not right.. My truck must have been made close to when the 2010 dodge rams were made cause the HVAC box is from a 2010, so now im waiting on that part to come in should be here Friday.

While taking it apart I am not the first person opening this up as there was a rag stuffed by the air intake instead of just buying new weather stripping. Of course they broke all 4 tabs so I am trying to see what i can do to putit back together. Any ideas? I was looking on ebay and the replacement part that I can find is for the 2500. Will that part work. Looks like the same design and dimensions? I also decided while I had this out I would order a new reinforced blend door from blend doors usa. I just realized that the only one that they had is for the 2500 and 3500 not the 1500 like I have so if the 2500 unit will work I can install that part as well.

Thanks again