1/4 crank but won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crankandstroker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys,
Ya got a newbie here.

My 2013 Ram 2500 6.7 sometimes won't start.
About a 2 weeks ago I put the key in the ignition and it sounded like it did a 1/8 crank then stopped. I disconnected the battery to reset but no luck. Then grabbed the battery charger and she turned right on. I then drove the truck for 1.5 weeks without it doing it again. Everything seemed fine. Watch volts steady and everything seemed ok. Then just today same issue. 1/8 (and none of that click click like you hear when the battery is dead. Do you think it's the battery? It is 5 years old oem part. Or could it be in the starter selinoid. Any suggestion would be great, Thanks Andy.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
you need a new battery that one is toast.

Needs 2 new batteries. It’s a diesel

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

OP
OP
C

Crankandstroker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys! Any suggestion on an economical battery for these trucks. They range a bit.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Thanks guys! Any suggestion on an economical battery for these trucks. They range a bit.

I’ve used aaa batteries for years, they have high cca’s and not too expensive or you can go with optima’s, they are a little pricey but excellent batteries. If I’m not mistaken, they have a great warranty. There’s tons of brands you could buy but most don’t hold up to long, especially with diesels as they require high cca’s. Ask the heavy duty guys what their running in their trucks. Good luck, hope this helps you.

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Optimas are worth the money, but they will seriously set you back. If you don't have several hundred bucks to burn I wouldn't bother.

Last time I replaced a battery I got an autocraft gold from Autozone. IMO they are a good compromise between performance and price.