10 amps of unswitched 12v dc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawman1841

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an amateur radio transceiver that I want to connect to unswitched 12v dc in my 2017 Ram 1500. The transceiver is rated to pull 9.5 amps on full power transmit.

The Ram manual rates the cig ports at 13 amps but I'm uncomfortable doing that and would rather find it elsewhere. Should I go straight to the battery with a fused line or is there somewhere else I can find it, like the TIPM?

Thanks in advance.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
10a I would run a new wire from the fuse box to the Radio. Curious to why you want it powered all the time. Whats the standby power? Sounds like a good way to murder a battery to me.

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
Get the aux switch package and you can do whatever you want..
And it keeps the high power out of the cab, or at least to a minimum..just my .02

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have an amateur radio transceiver that I want to connect to unswitched 12v dc in my 2017 Ram 1500. The transceiver is rated to pull 9.5 amps on full power transmit.

The Ram manual rates the cig ports at 13 amps but I'm uncomfortable doing that and would rather find it elsewhere. Should I go straight to the battery with a fused line or is there somewhere else I can find it, like the TIPM?

Thanks in advance.

1. Battery.
2 TIPM may have an unused fuse spade live to attach a quick disconnect with inline fuse to.
3. Inverter 30A fused +12V under passenger seat is 14 Awg.

Cigarette lighter wire is inline spliced down 18 Awg before it gets to the outlet.

Last edited:

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
OK, I have 2 Amateur Radios (HF/VHF and VHF), a business band radio plus drop-in handy talkie, a GMRS radio and a CB radio installed in my truck. I'm planning on an inverter behind the rear seat.

I ran an 8AWG cable from the battery (through a 100A fuse) through the clutch blockoff plate (search the forums for the damn spanky best way to do that) and are feeding all my radios from that. Lots of DC all the time. Unless you just really want your radio going through the TIPM, I'd go straight to the battery.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would go straight to the battery, and fuse it close to the battery. Just my opinion.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran 20A for my seat heaters...hemmed and hawed about pulling power from something already inside the cab but ultimately ran directly to the battery and added a relay under the front seat.

I would just go directly to the battery. That way there can never be a question about hacking factory wiring, especially if the truck is still under warranty.