12 inch screen only?! Is this true?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last night I was doing a build online for a 2023 and a 2024 and if you want the Level B Equipment Group which gives you a few more bells and whistles you HAVE to get the 12 inch screen?! In all years past you could get the 8.4 inch screen in the Level B. That 12 inch screen is too much for me. Anyone have any insight here? Thanks!

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Didn’t want it but ended up w/a 12” screen when I bought a “22” dealer demo Laramie. It’s been 11 months & 20k miles now. I don’t use it to its full capabilities & never will, but I don’t notice it being there like I did at first.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
After the "covid" supply and manufacturing disaster companies have been streamlining their offerings so this would not surprise me. I think you are going to see less and less "customized" options available on a lot of things.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you will enjoy the 12" screen. I wasn't sure about mine at first, and like said above, I don't use it to hardly any of its potential but I love it overall!!

zrock

Reaction score
all veh are going the way of larger screens, look at the size of Ford and Chev.

Calicajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
We just bought a Ram 3500 4x4 Limited that came with the 12" screen. So far we love the bigger screen for the navigation as it much easier to see and shows more map than the smaller screens can show.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have it on my 2023 Laramie. I rarely look at it. It's a bit of information overload plus it's dead center of the console so you definitely are taking your eyes off the road. I put a screen saver on mine to avoid the fingerprint issue.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1stindoor... what screen protector are you using and are you happy with it ?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
After the "covid" supply and manufacturing disaster companies have been streamlining their offerings so this would not surprise me. I think you are going to see less and less "customized" options available on a lot of things.
Stellantis has been doing that across their lines for several years now. We bought a late year '21 Pacifica instead of ordering a '22 because we could not option out the '22 the way we wanted it. They removed/combined a lot of features in '22. I do miss the old days of being able to get almost everything a la carte.

I had the 8.4" in my 18 2500 and have the 12" in my 22 2500. I love the bigger screen.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’ll like it once you customize the screen and get the controls and screens you use all on the Home Screen. I don’t mess with it for about 9 months, then I changed it to have the stuff I use on one screen. It’s nice.

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i have the 12". did not want it but now i would not want anything else. once you get use to it you will love it.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I bought my '22 used and it came with big screen but I was happy with the 8.4 in my '19. everyone that rode with me thought the 8.4 was big.

Grenadiers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Honestly, I wish I had the 12" over the 8.4". The few times I've had my truck in the shop for warranty work (the last time was to replace the transmission, THAT took 5 weeks due to "shortage in the supply chain"), I was given a fully loaded Durango. While it didn't have the 12", it did have a larger screen (not sure of the size, but im guesing it was around 10" at least) than what I have, and the difference was VERY noticeable!

Especially when using the Nav system! Plus add in a few other "bells and whistles" that my system didn't have.

When I got my truck back, my screen al of a sudden looked ...lessor. I thought that someone had swapped out what I had and put in a smaller screen! That was how noticeable the difference was!!

If I could do it (I know it can be done (LOTS of YouTube videos on it), it's the cost that turns my gut!), I would swap out mine for the 12" in a heart beat!!

Bonnie Blue Flag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Liter
I got the 12 inch on my Laramie 2024 2500 with the level B package.

I had the 8.4 inch on my previous 2020 1500.

The technology on 2024 12 inch package is immensely more sophisticated.

The new truck came with navigation which beats the hell out of using google maps via CarPlay.

I am quite greatful they still have rotary knobs for the volume control and tuning control.

You do however lose the rotary knobs for the fan speed and temperature on the 12 inch, but there are still relatively easy to use buttons to the left of the display to change temperature and fan speed.

I cannot tell you how frustrating some cars can be with radio tuning. A rotary tuning dial is the best.

I had a rental and you had to use the touch screen to tune. It was down right hazardous to tune the radio while driving.

Overall I like the larger screen better and it makes the interior look much better and will help with resale value.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I like the 12” screen OK but I wish it was set a bit further forward instead of protruding slightly from the dash so it would be a little easier to see without taking my eyes off the road as much. The GPS and camera screens in the RAM are not as vivid as those in my wife’s Lexus and hers is set up on the dash and easier to glance over at and comprehend. But the RAM has many more features in it and is easier to toggle through the screens than the usual Toyota/Lexus overly complex and scattered controls setup. After 4 years she still can’t navigate through it.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have it on my 2023 Laramie. I rarely look at it. It's a bit of information overload plus it's dead center of the console so you definitely are taking your eyes off the road. I put a screen saver on mine to avoid the fingerprint issue.
i actually like that about the screen in our trucks
i get in rental vehicles sometimes and the screen portrudes out of the dash like a tombstone

i hate that, it looks like they never bothered to design where it went, and when it was time to install it they just slapped it on

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cannot tell you how frustrating some cars can be with radio tuning. A rotary tuning dial is the best.

I had a rental and you had to use the touch screen to tune. It was down right hazardous to tune the radio while driving.
back in the 90s they had this button on the radio "scan"

that thing was awesome for road trips, and youd be out of reach of your usual stations
you hit that bad boy and it would go down the dial, tuning by itself, playing 4 seconds of a station before it moved on to the next

i havent seen that button in years

now, when i road trip i have to hit the button, proclaim whatever is playing is crap and hit it again, and keep repeating that for however many miles the trip is