'14 factory backup cam outage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Backup cam shows blue screen when in reverse and CAM Not available msg across the top of screen all of a sudden. Took off tailgate panel to look at the connector for the cam and it appears there is a cable from the cam that runs from tailgate into the truck body somewhere on the passenger side... I had hoped that maybe there was an RCA plug on camera that needed cleaning or something. I read on another thread that the 8.4 radio head CAM connection is also NOT an RCA connector.

I have a portable screen that I wanted to use to check RCA connection camera output, to see if the cam was the problem.

Any suggestions or help as to where to go next?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it’s OEM then there’s not any RCA cables. Try unplugging the connector at the tailgate, clean it out, and put some dielectric grease on it when you plug it back together.

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it’s OEM then there’s not any RCA cables. Try unplugging the connector at the tailgate, clean it out, and put some dielectric grease on it when you plug it back together.
thanks for the info... just what I wanted to know about RCA or not... will disconnect and clean contacts

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

well today I got back into the tailgate only to find no connection to the connector in the tailgate to the camera...
the wire coming out of the back of the cam ( image 1) goes directly into a loom (image 2) and bypasses the connector in the tailgate... I attempted to follow it further and it looks like it gets wrapped up in a bundle that exits the tailgate and goes into the rear of the RAM and then up thru the frame to the front. I suspect it is a direct connection to the 8.4 radio. Now to t]ull the radio when I get a chance

cam01.JPG cam02.JPG

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The camera connection is in fact in the big bulk head connector that plugs into the back of the radio. I had the same symptoms as you when I installed a t-harness. Somehow two of the camera pins were bent in the t-harness and not making the correct connection. I pulled the t-harness, bent the pins back and all is good now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The camera connection is in fact in the big bulk head connector that plugs into the back of the radio. I had the same symptoms as you when I installed a t-harness. Somehow two of the camera pins were bent in the t-harness and not making the correct connection. I pulled the t-harness, bent the pins back and all is good not.

well just got back from 2nd round of troubleshooting... took out back of radio head, took of all contacts and sprayed all connections ( 2nd picture shows liquid left-over from contact cleaner) with premium contact cleaner shown below... plugged all back in and no difference... If I were a betting man I would think that the coax cable with the thick black lead ( yellowish) is the cord directly fed from the rear camera as it sure looks like the same cable... nothing on the bulk connector looks the same cable... unfortunately nothing changed

deoxit.jpg cam03.JPG

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The camera connection to the radio is in the bulkhead, not on those other jacks which are for satellite and nav, cell, radio, usb, and whatever else. At home I have the pin out of the bulk head connector. I assure you the connection is there.

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The camera connection to the radio is in the bulkhead, not on those other jacks which are for satellite and nav, cell, radio, usb, and whatever else. At home I have the pin out of the bulk head connector. I assure you the connection is there.

can you please get the pinout published? with that I might be able to get more troubleshooting done to see if it is radio problem or camera problem

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's pin 31, 32 and possibly, but not likely 33 you want to look at.

Pin%20Out.jpg

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THX...

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
89grand,
you talked about a T-harness... was that plug giving you access to the cam pins?

I want to add a licence plate camera with an RCA connection in place of the stock cam, and trying to figure out how to do that and display it on the 8.4 radio