14 longhorn starter help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua helms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello, I have a 2014 longhorn and have a starter that seems to be going out. Tested by oreilleys and autozone. I noticed it was slower to start and thought it was the battery but apparently it is my starter. Question I have is that since my truck came with a remote start new, can I just put any starter for my vehicle or does it have to be a one for remote start? Thanks

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
A starter is a starter, makes no difference. Never seen one in 50 years of one spinning slow. Typically they fail completely or the gear gets stripped. I would be looking at wiring and cleaning the contacts on both the battery and starter before replacing it. Also try starting it using another vehicle to jump it. See if that fixes it, if so, it's your battery.

OP
OP
J

Joshua helms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay thanks I will give that a shot and see if it works

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A starter is a starter, makes no difference. Never seen one in 50 years of one spinning slow. Typically they fail completely or the gear gets stripped. I would be looking at wiring and cleaning the contacts on both the battery and starter before replacing it. Also try starting it using another vehicle to jump it. See if that fixes it, if so, it's your battery.

Gonna second this, if the battery is strong and its been load tested not just voltage tested. You know what if the battery is 3 or more years old just change it. If that doesnt get the starter going its your cables, either at the battery, ground, or starter.

A battery can show full voltage but no longer has the amperage to get the starter up to speed. Do not trust a tech that just attaches a set of cables to the battery and says Yep its good. This wont test load or amperage capabilities. As well a bad cell can happen virtually any second in a car.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually I replaced the starter on my 06 5.7 and it was spinning slower then normal. When I removed the starter the bushing on the nose end was completely worn through. I forgot how much slower it was until I put the new one in.

OP
OP
J

Joshua helms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the responses. I replaced the battery and all seems to be well now.