Replacing starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

Long time no post. I tried to tackle replacing my starter today, but I ran into some trouble. Every video I watched shows only two bolts in the rear to get it loose. Mine is not coming loose, but it does have a stud as well that isn’t shown in the videos.IMG_0436.jpeg Does the stud need to come out?

Outside of that, I have tried a dead blow hammer, a pry bar, PB blaster, etc. and it won’t budge.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I would definitely check for other bolts.

Are you sure the drive isn’t stuck and using a big hammer to tap the body to loosen the armature so it can spin ?

Otherwise use of other tools like
dead blow air hammer ?
brass drift ?
pry bar ?

diagram shows two bolts
but I’m not sure what trans or body style

Last edited:

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

Long time no post. I tried to tackle replacing my starter today, but I ran into some trouble. Every video I watched shows only two bolts in the rear to get it loose. Mine is not coming loose, but it does have a stud as well that isn’t shown in the videos.View attachment 541097 Does the stud need to come out?

Outside of that, I have tried a dead blow hammer, a pry bar, PB blaster, etc. and it won’t budge.
Look at the replacement in your hand and compare where the holes on that starter are and how many and that should lead you to what you are looking for on the started hanging on the truck.

OP
OP
M

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at the replacement in your hand and compare where the holes on that starter are and how many and that should lead you to what you are looking for on the started hanging on the truck.
The replacement only has 2 bolt holes. I have tried PB blaster, a pry bar, and a dead blow hammer. I have not brought out the torch yet.