15% ethanol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since we're being picky, "Ram Trucks" have only been in existence since 2010. All US produced vehicles have been compatible with e15 since 2001. Which means his statement was actually accurate that all RAM trucks are safe to run on e15.

I think we'll all agree that any member of these forums is welcome to post in any area. But it's on all members to be aware which forum they are reading and posting to. It's also in everyone's best interest to take anything they read in a forum with at least a grain of salt. There's lots of knowledgeable people here, but you don't have to pass any kind of test to be able to post something. No one should take everything they read in a forum as gospel.
NEVA, I mean NEVA, burn up a lot of salt (usually Iodized). But there are a good group of PPL on here that are dang knowledgeable.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, no - modern engines aren't ruined by ethanol - they use alcohol resistant elastomers in the fuel supply system - these are more expensive than those for plain gasoline (NBR rubber).

What we're saying is you aren't saving any money, and it is worse for the environement, when the agrilobby is falsely claiming benefits. The only benefit is to their wallets.
Maybe I need to plant an acre of Corn???

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Ethanol is destructive for older (most pre-2000) vehicles, eating up the rubber fuel lines and carburetor seals. As said already, ensure your vehicle is rated for it before use.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never seen more ethanol free fuel than I did driving through Iowa the last few years. Most stations offered it. AND in the middle of the corn belt. Figure that one out.
Pretty much every station in Iowa has ethanol blend. The premium or 91 octane in the state is usually pure gas, but the rare few have 91 as a blend. Basically all 87 is 10% ethanol. They also offer 87 that is not ethanol. Those are the 3 offered at most every station in Iowa

OP
OP
K

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OMG, I remember this now, I drove through Iowa, about decade ago, and remember now asking about this at one of the stations, and remember them telling me this. I cant believe I forgot about that.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Pretty much every station in Iowa has ethanol blend. The premium or 91 octane in the state is usually pure gas, but the rare few have 91 as a blend. Basically all 87 is 10% ethanol. They also offer 87 that is not ethanol. Those are the 3 offered at most every station in Iowa
I usually use the 87 non ethanol when traveling through- something I can't find in Colorado. There must be some around me but haven't found it yet.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Since we're being picky, "Ram Trucks" have only been in existence since 2010. All US produced vehicles have been compatible with e15 since 2001. Which means his statement was actually accurate that all RAM trucks are safe to run on e15.
But, E15 has been approved for all vehicles back to 2001. It will not destroy an engine.
The *EPA* said you can use E15 in cars 2001 and newer as of 2011 and be legal based on emissions standards. See: https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P1009LS8.pdf

This decision is based in large part on DOE’s Catalyst Study that evaluated the long-term effects of ethanol blends on the durability of the exhaust emissions control system, especially the catalytic converter (catalyst), for these vehicles. EPA concluded that the DOE Catalyst Study and other information thoroughly demonstrate that the impact of E15 on overall exhaust emissions, including both immediate and durability-related, will not cause or contribute to MY2001-2006 motor vehicles exceeding their exhaust emission standards.

Do you suppose the EPA tested seals, hoses, etc? Or

As you say, Ram started in 2010. Feel free to look at the owner's manuals yourself. 2010-2015 all contain one of both of these messages:

DO NOT use gasoline containing Methanol or gasoline containing more than 10% Ethanol. Use of these blends may result in starting and driveability problems, damage critical fuel system components, cause emissions to exceed the applicable standard, and/or cause the “Malfunction Indicator Light” to illuminate. Pump labels should clearly communicate if a fuel contains greater than 10% Ethanol.

and/or

Non-FFV vehicles are compatible with gasoline containing 10% ethanol (E10). Gasoline with higher ethanol content may void the vehicle’s warranty

5.7 Hemi equipped RAMs are *not* FFV.

It is not until 2016 that it changes to:

DO NOT use gasoline containing methanol or gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15). Use of these blends may result in starting and drivability problems, damage critical fuel system components, cause emissions to exceed the applicable standard, and/or cause the “Malfunction Indicator Light” to illuminate. Please observe pump labels as they should clearly communicate if a fuel contains greater than 15% ethanol (E-15).

I'll trust the owner's manual over the EPA about what's good for the longevity and durability of the trucks, but others are free to decide otherwise, of course.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@Docwagon1776 - I forgot about that....Ram didn't go for the ethanol hype. In fact, the lobby is kind of frantic now, after 30 years of lies they're finally being called out.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will try and avoid 15% if I can, since 10% here. There is one place for ethanol free, though not convenient and I do not know the price of it today.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What engine with a warranty is not made to use it?

It is approved for vehicles back to 2001. So, I would say that statement takes away any liability by manufacture.

For instance. It says to 2001. My 99 Dodge V10 is the same engine and fuel delivery as the 2001...so there is no reason it would not work with it either.

I think it was 2011 when it was introduced.

As mentioned this is just a spotlight move for a failing ability of the rulers. It goes against all they say they are for in an attempt to show they are in touch with the cost of living.

Annoying at best. But your engine will be fine using it.

Just like the Hemi isnt going away...neither is E10 or E0 fuel. It just costs more...the only reason this even made a headline
Most all marine setups, many if not most small motor setups. None rec. the use of ethanol and for good reason.

Of course, these aren't automobiles :)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Most all marine setups, many if not most small motor setups. None rec. the use of ethanol and for good reason.

My Mercury 2004 2-stroke says NO alcohol gas whatsoever. Outside of such statements, we're just making all this up - there's no actual physics involved.

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My Mercury 2004 2-stroke says NO alcohol gas whatsoever. Outside of such statements, we're just making all this up - there's no actual physics involved.
:)

As typical, much ado about nothing.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've never seen more ethanol free fuel than I did driving through Iowa the last few years. Most stations offered it. AND in the middle of the corn belt. Figure that one out.
I stopped trying to figure things out awhile ago.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What engine with a warranty is not made to use it?

It is approved for vehicles back to 2001. So, I would say that statement takes away any liability by manufacture.

For instance. It says to 2001. My 99 Dodge V10 is the same engine and fuel delivery as the 2001...so there is no reason it would not work with it either.

I think it was 2011 when it was introduced.

As mentioned this is just a spotlight move for a failing ability of the rulers. It goes against all they say they are for in an attempt to show they are in touch with the cost of living.

Annoying at best. But your engine will be fine using it.

Just like the Hemi isnt going away...neither is E10 or E0 fuel. It just costs more...the only reason this even made a headline
FYI I forgot I was in the Ram forum as I recall from 2011 when Toyota said no to E15 per Toyota email:

Thank you for contacting us.

We appreciate your interest in properly operating your Tacoma.

Toyota vehicles are not designed to use E15 fuel and use of that fuel could cause corrosion on some metal components in the fuel system. Further, using E15 as a fuel source may impact the Limited Factory Warranty of your Tacoma.

Please follow the fuel requirement guidelines set forth in your 2011 Tacoma's Owner's Manual.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Toyota Customer Experience

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

I give up. This is the 5th Gen RAM forum. So I figured most where talking about RAM trucks. Either a 3.6l V6 or a 5.7 l V8. The 3.0l ecoD will not run on gas either.

Ugh.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
FYI I forgot I was in the Ram forum as I recall from 2011 when Toyota said no to E15 per Toyota email:

Thank you for contacting us.

We appreciate your interest in properly operating your Tacoma.

Toyota vehicles are not designed to use E15 fuel and use of that fuel could cause corrosion on some metal components in the fuel system. Further, using E15 as a fuel source may impact the Limited Factory Warranty of your Tacoma.

Please follow the fuel requirement guidelines set forth in your 2011 Tacoma's Owner's Manual.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Toyota Customer Experience
Yep 2011...when it first came out.

This is 2022. But I get the point everyone is doing. With enough of an attempt one can show how a 5th Gen Ram shouldnt use E15.

Should have just left my phone off.

Definitely wasnt E15 they were using at Bristol Motor Speedway today.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Isn't it right in the owners manual? From my 2016 it even states the following, so I would assume it would be at the very least the same for the 5th gen.

DO NOT use gasoline containing methanol or gasoline
containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15). Use of
these blends may result in starting and drivability
problems, damage critical fuel system components
cause emissions to exceed the applicable standard,
and/or cause the “Malfunction Indicator Light” to
illuminate. Please observe pump labels as they
should clearly communicate if a fuel contains greater
than 15% ethanol (E-15).

E-85 Usage In Non-Flex Fuel Vehicles
Non-Flex Fuel Vehicles (FFV) are compatible with gasoline
containing up to 15% ethanol (E-15). Gasoline with
higher ethanol content may void the New Vehicle Limited
Warranty.
If

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Didn't realize my 2015 outdoorsman was special just figured all trucks were flex fuel ready. It has a yellow gas cap by the way and is the v6.

Status
Not open for further replies.