1500 5th wheel towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi8lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7 Cummins
search didnt lead me to any posts, so here is my question. does anyone tow a 5th wheel travel trailer with their 1500? how are you equipped and how does it do? thanks.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Not many tow fifth wheels with 1/2 tons because the pin weight it to much for them. They have smaller 1/2 ton towable fifth wheels but they are not very common. as far as the truck is conserned it's the same these trucks need some help in the back if you have a heavy hitch weight so air bags or upgrades coils would be a good idea other than that is hook it up and go.

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
So....I know of two people who tow fivers with half ton trucks. One is a 2010/11 1500 QC 4x4. Looks like it's set up just like mine w/ HD tow package. Just guessing, I would suspect he added air bags as well. The other is a Toyota Taco w/ 4.7 V8.
Both 5rs are in the 32 ft 10K range. I do not believe either do long highway runs. The Toy lives in Lawrence KS and the camp area is less than 10 miles away. The RAM, I believe, uses the storage facility at the entrance to the lack campground. Less than 3 miles w/ no speeds over 45 MPH
Smaller 5er, short towing distance and properly set up truck and you could do it. Be prepared to shell out $$ for proper hitch additional bracing. Would I do it? No way. I would buy a 2500 w/ a 6.4 Hemi and 4.10 gear

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Lots of guys do it. I wouldn't. Forget payload ratings- you'll cross the rear axle rating by a LOT before you even get in the truck and that is just a problem waiting to happen.

I am maybe a bit old school in this thinking, but 5th wheels have no business on half tons. Even the coveted F150 HD. It's still a half ton no matter what the brochure says.

The dude pulling one with a Taco? He's not right in the head. Must have been born under power lines or something. I encountered a family in Cypress last year who had a cougar 5th hooked up to their '13 or '14 (based on the fog lights) Longhorn 1500. Said it pulled great and felt really good. I know the ratings on these trucks. I could guess pretty closely that with that 5er, a family of five, plus hitch he was likely 1500 to 2000lbs over his GVWR and a good 8-900lbs over his rear axle. I imagine it will pull just fine- right up until one of his axle shafts ejects itself on the highway.

Probably only a few instances on here, but head to RV.net and search there. You'll find plenty of F150 and Tundra guys that think their half tons are sprinkled with some kind of magical "almost a one ton" dust and do it all the time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The people that do stuff like that (overloading their trucks like crazy) are usually ones that are either a) trading them all the time b) flip them c) dont give a @!#$ d) are too stupid to know any better.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Lots of guys do it. I wouldn't. Forget payload ratings- you'll cross the rear axle rating by a LOT before you even get in the truck and that is just a problem waiting to happen.

I am maybe a bit old school in this thinking, but 5th wheels have no business on half tons. Even the coveted F150 HD. It's still a half ton no matter what the brochure says.

The dude pulling one with a Taco? He's not right in the head. Must have been born under power lines or something. I encountered a family in Cypress last year who had a cougar 5th hooked up to their '13 Longhorn 1500. Said it pulled great and felt really good. I know the ratings on these trucks. I could guess pretty closely that with that 5er, a family of five, plus hitch he was likely 1500 to 2000lbs over his GVWR and a good 8-900lbs over his rear axle. I imagine it will pull just fine- right up until one of his axle shafts ejects itself on the highway.

Probably only a few instances on here, but head to RV.net and search there. You'll find plenty of F150 and Tundra guys that think their half tons are sprinkled with some kind of magical "almost a one ton" dust and do it all the time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

There is a few "light" fifthwheels that could be manageable by a 1500. Not many but some. If it's just a husband wife and trailer you could pull it off. I went through some of the "1/2 ton towable" fifthwheels and the lighter ones have a 1000lb hitch weight. Load up the the trailer right 300lbs in the truck and everything In the trailer you'll be ok. but you will always be worried about loading the trailer right you probably won't be able to load up your entire family or a couple buddy's, you'll be over weight really fast.

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Juat say no. Lightweight trailer only. If you want a 5th wheel get a 3500 and if you want a large 5th wheel get a 3500 dually MINIMUM but check to make sure it is rated for it.

It sometimes is not a matter of "will it pull it"?. "Will it stop it?" and "Is it safe?".

I have towed 5th wheels across the country several times with a 2500 with air bags and it was BARELY adequate. Many times I wished for a dually.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Juat say no. Lightweight trailer only. If you want a 5th wheel get a 3500 and if you want a large 5th wheel get a 3500 dually MINIMUM but check to make sure it is rated for it.

It sometimes is not a matter of "will it pull it"?. "Will it stop it?" and "Is it safe?".

I have towed 5th wheels across the country several times with a 2500 with air bags and it was BARELY adequate. Many times I wished for a dually.

I completely agree. Most of the fifth wheels like 80% of them on the market have a pin weight of over 2000lbs witch is way more than what a 2500 can handle let alone a 1500. There are some 28-30ft fifth wheels light enough for a 1500 but why would you really want to? I would rather have a bumper pull get more room out of it.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I echo the "Don't do it" sentiment above... there's lots of bumper pulls that'll work well for you...

I saw a guy last summer with a 1500, 5th Wheel and a boat (trained, legal in AB with proper equipped tow veh.) heading into the Roger's Pass (Alberta/BC Hwy 1 - Canada). It was scary to know he was even on the same road as me. About 1/2 hr later we saw him pulled over by the RCMP having a chat, never saw him again after that...

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is possible, but if you are overdoing payload more than a few hundred pounds or more, its not worth it.

The 1500 just isnt made to tow like that, its not heavy enough, and you sure dont want a trailer to start steering you!

I co-worker of mine has a 2013 Silverado, and tows a 20 something filth wheel. He says he regrets buying the trailer, it scares the crap out of him.

Ultimately, its not worth risking it, hurting yourself, or others on the road.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Growing up we had a 24' 5th wheel that was perfect for half tons, only 700lbs of pin weight and a dry weight of 4400lbs. So it is possible, but they don't make too many of those 5th wheels anymore, all of the new ones are big heavy and tall.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Growing up we had a 24' 5th wheel that was perfect for half tons, only 700lbs of pin weight and a dry weight of 4400lbs. So it is possible, but they don't make too many of those 5th wheels anymore, all of the new ones are big heavy and tall.

I would give my left leg to find something like that now.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would give my left leg to find something like that now.

There isn't many of them but they are out there. Back in the early 2000's I had a neghbour had a 97 chevy 1500 z71 and they had a small fiifth wheel and it pulled it just fine. Idk the length or weight specs on it but it didn't look much longer than the truck so it was probably 24-26ft range

Not common especially nowadays... 13-15 years later.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same ole same ole (problem with 1/2 tons that is). Just like toy haulers you might have 1, maybe 2 to choose from. Will you have black, black, or black? Get an hd truck and choices are numerous!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Same ole same ole (problem with 1/2 tons that is). Just like toy haulers you might have 1, maybe 2 to choose from. Will you have black, black, or black? Get an hd truck and choices are numerous!

Very true statement!

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with most here and wouldn't want to pull a fifth wheel with a halfton. I would never feel good about it unless it was a small one but then you could have a better set up with a bumper pull. It's funny though, on the Cummins forum most over there will tell you not to use a 2500 for a fifth wheel and even some that say you should use nothing short of a dually. Where does it stop? 5500? Freightliner? I traded my 11' 2500 Cummins when i realized it would be a long time before i bought anything big enough to justify keeping it. I just want a pop up to drag up in the mountains where others don't dare to go.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree with most here and wouldn't want to pull a fifth wheel with a halfton. I would never feel good about it unless it was a small one but then you could have a better set up with a bumper pull. It's funny though, on the Cummins forum most over there will tell you not to use a 2500 for a fifth wheel and even some that say you should use nothing short of a dually. Where does it stop? 5500? Freightliner? I traded my 11' 2500 Cummins when i realized it would be a long time before i bought anything big enough to justify keeping it. I just want a pop up to drag up in the mountains where others don't dare to go.

It is nice to have the stability of a 5th wheel. Not once in 15 years of camping did we ever have a issue with sway or stability. It is also nice to have the ability to tow behind a 5th wheel, in most states you cannot pull a trailer behind a travel trailer, for good reason. If you go on rv forums you are an idiot if you even pull that pop up with a 2500 Cummins it seems like. Like you said, where does it stop?