1500 toolbox and tonneau cover suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Small V8
I'm looking to put a locking toolbox and a locking tonneau cover on my 05 1500 quad cab. It needs to be:

-Theft resistant; Lockable and not a fabric material. (Something like the Bakflip G2, but I don't know if the G2 locks)

-Waterproof

-Locking toolbox, preferably one I can get into without opening the cover

-I'll be adding a lockable tailgate handle.

-Budget: around $800-1000, but I may have some flexibility, this just determines how long I have to wait. Cheaper is obviously better.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put a Leer 800 on mine then bought a "fifth wheel" tool box that went from side to side with a top latch lid. It's only about 12" deep but the lid will almost open all the way with the cover on. You do have to open the cover and crawl inside the bed to get to the tool box. Tool box locks the same as any other tool box on the outside. It has 2 latches. If your interested i'll take a couple of pictures and will go measure the tool box and give you the manufacture's name. My setup was way north of $800-$1000.
Jay

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I've been researching the very same thing. Even thought the F1 is their flagship model, I was looking at the BakFlip FiberMax (which doesn't have a lock but cannot be opened unless you opent he tailgate) see this video:
Bakflip Fibermax Tonneau Cover | BakFactoryDirect.com

...and for a tool box I was looking at the BakBox. It sits under the tonneau cover. Not sure about getting to the box without having to flip the entire thing open. I wish I knew.
BakBox Toolbox | BakFactoryDirect.com

My only concern is this tool box doesn't look very big.

I also really like this Truxedo TonneauMate tool box. It's on a rack and you can position it anywhere you want on the bed. I would love to know if this will fit under the FiberMax.
TonneauMate - The Perfect Mate For Your Tonneau Cover

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I found a new combo I like. Apparently there is a company that rivals similar quality hard locking tonneaus with features I like. The bakFlip won't open from the front of the truck. I was looking for a hidden toolbox. There is another product named "Fold-a-cover" that makes a model "G4 Elite". You can see it here and you can order it with a "Personal Caddy" which is a storage box that hangs from the tonneau rail. The personal caddy doesn't lock but it sits within the locked tonneau. Check out a video here

G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover | Fold-a-Cover

Pro: it opens from the front
Con: only exposes 75% of bed use

chettrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEmi
I found Swing Case tool boxes, they fit inside, under a flat tonneau. Got one for each side. Lockable but not needed with Tonneau. They are not big for giant tools but since I put subwoofers and amp under back seat, I wanted to keep the small stuff out of the way. I can still fill the back of the turck with 4x8 shhets of plywood. They fit almost flush with wheel well.