150k and some second thoughts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well there will be two parts to this thread.

First, my 03 Ram has just passed over 150k miles. I was just curious if anyone had some advice on what should maybe get done? like anything i should really look at or replace? Im guessing spark plugs would be one to check. Just am new to the truck world, and still learning. This has to last me a few years because i am unable to afford something different. Also, im due for a oil change in about 1k miles so, any thoughts on oil? worth it to switch to synthetic when its pretty high mileage and i do not know what the previous owners had used in the past.

Lastly, sometimes i do have second thoughts about buying this Ram. I had it 23 days and heads were warped, got them plained, new head and manifold gaskets. Plus, all the rust that is really starting to show, i get told that the truck is a ************* but i try to think that its not.. I cant afford to fix the rust, and it is only going to get worse. I mean i bought it and then had to sink more money for repairs and now other things like the rust are starting to show.. I just feel like its a money pit and many more things are going to show.. I guess my big question is, is there anything else to worry about since i had warped heads and bad head gasket? will that coolant that leaked in there cause me problems later on?

Sorry for the long post, and my "down" attitude. Just want some input on my truck.. all i have been hearing is how much this and that is going to cost and how it is a *************. so any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, and props to you if you read it all!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
a 10 year old truck in the rust belt, especially one with a design flaw that leads to rust in the rear wheel wells is a hard battle.

You can get the rust fixed eventually. Unfortunately, the longer it goes, the worse and more expensive it gets.

Mechanically, it sounds like you've put some decent money into the motor. It really depends on what you want the truck for. Are you using it to haul stuff around / beat up using as a 'truck' or are you more a 'it's a nice vehicle with a bed' person?

Even with what you've done, there is still a lot that can go wrong on the truck. Tranmission, Steering and Suspension all remain untouched. Doesn't mean they need work, but they are all wear items.

Unfortunately, if you can't afford body work, you likely can't afford a newer nicer truck either. I'd vote honker down for a while, and just try to not look at the rust. Put minimal money into it and replace it in a year or two.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with ya, I owe few grand on it so I don't think I can get rid of it yet. Maybe once I pay off like half of it I can try to sell or trade in. I learned my lesson on vehicle buying don't jump the gun on one . But as long as it lasts a couple years I'll be okay with it. Its my daily driver and needs to last but I am looking into simple things like fender flares and doing touch up in some spots so it'll loom better than a bunch of rust. A white truck with rust shows real bad haha thanks for your input though

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depending on your tastes, you can cut the rust out, treat the metal best you can and cover with flares. It certainly could work.

I know the 'jump the gun - regret' syndrome.
I love my 2013 crew cab, but F*CK these payments are BIG.

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm not real familiar with that particular generation of truck, but can a person put a newer style box on it? Just thinking you might be able to get a nice used box for the same price, or even cheaper, than the cost of the rust repair?