180 T issues at low speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ihamid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all

so i just installed the 180t and car runs fine with 182-190 on highways. However at low speed cruising, temp creep up to 240. What could be the reason? I have v6 efan and have not changed settings yet and they are working fine.

Its really weird that the temperatures are going up only when cruising at slow speed.

Any help would be appreciated.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have not tuned for the fan it shouldn’t go above the low 220° range before coming back down. 240° seems a bit high. Either need to get the tube done or put the old clutch fan back in

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What thermostat did you go with?

As hot as that sounds, my truck bone stock got up there around 220-230 degrees F at times.
After swapping the Tstat out with I think it was a stant brand, and removing my AGS grills my truck runs just about 190 or lower now.

I still have my mechanical fan hooked up though. So not quite the same situation but yours doesn't sound insanely high, it is a bit higher than normal temps I have seen.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi all

so i just installed the 180t and car runs fine with 182-190 on highways. However at low speed cruising, temp creep up to 240. What could be the reason? I have v6 efan and have not changed settings yet and they are working fine.

Its really weird that the temperatures are going up only when cruising at slow speed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Where you live,i'd be tempted to leave the stock e-fan/shroud and mechanical fan in place,even with a 180 t-stat. Nobody is running the V6 fan at the temps you guys get in Dubai.If your truck has the 8 speed,have you removed the middle shutters on the active grill shutters

OP
OP
I

ihamid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like a coolant or fan related issue, I doubt it's from the thermostat. Does the temp come back down when you go back to driving normal?
Yea it goes down to 186 while driving on highway at speeds above 60mph. The fan works as I can hear it click in.

Sublime 4th Gen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm gonna echo the re-bleed the system and check the fan comment. I just did a 180 tstat over the weekend and mine gets to 202-204 at most and averages 192-194 no tuning done yet.

But I'm also in Kansas and this week it's decided it's going to be winter and in the 30s.

OP
OP
I

ihamid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What thermostat did you go with?

As hot as that sounds, my truck bone stock got up there around 220-230 degrees F at times.
After swapping the Tstat out with I think it was a stant brand, and removing my AGS grills my truck runs just about 190 or lower now.

I still have my mechanical fan hooked up though. So not quite the same situation but yours doesn't sound insanely high, it is a bit higher than normal temps I have seen.
I got the Mishimoto Jet 180T. So i did change the fan settings when i first installed the Tstat on my Diablo which I kinda think has messed up the system. The fan now starts at 222 and shuts off at 212. When the engine temps are low at start, the fan starts at 203 and shuts at 194 which is how it was previously. I am unable to understand why it is now starting at 222 when engine is warm.

OP
OP
I

ihamid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where you live,i'd be tempted to leave the stock e-fan/shroud and mechanical fan in place,even with a 180 t-stat. Nobody is running the V6 fan at the temps you guys get in Dubai.If your truck has the 8 speed,have you removed the middle shutters on the active grill shutters
It was 68 outside when i did the swap. I doubt it had anything to do with the outside temperature. I have been running V6 fan for over 2 years without any issues in deep summer with temps crossing 118 outside and have had no heat up issues. I have indeed removed the active grills last year and have installed Vararam airflow. The only time I have heat up issues is when I go extreme off roading in the dunes for 2-3 hours.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I got the Mishimoto Jet 180T. So i did change the fan settings when i first installed the Tstat on my Diablo which I kinda think has messed up the system. The fan now starts at 222 and shuts off at 212. When the engine temps are low at start, the fan starts at 203 and shuts at 194 which is how it was previously. I am unable to understand why it is now starting at 222 when engine is warm.
I'd start with a differant thermostat.I went through 3 of the piece of crap Jet thermostats,before finally giving up on them and going to a Stant.They'd work for about 3 months then start sticking,and my temps would go up like yours,then fall back when the t-stat did finally open. I'd also try putting the truck back to stock,you could even go all the way back to un-marrying it,then reload the diablo tune again,and see if it'll reaccept your fan parameters.Keep a battery charger on the battery while you're messing around with the tune

OP
OP
I

ihamid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so i may have figured out what the issue was after a bit of playing around with the tuner. Appreciate all your help.

Here is what I did in case someone else faces the same issue:

On my Diablo i3 under cooling fan, it does not give high, medium and low settings (don’t know why) but it gives “DESIRED ECT” which i had set to 190F after installing the 180tstat. When i lowered that further to 180F, the fans started kicking in on 204F and would shut down at 195F which is how it was before the 180T. Now my temps while cruising sit at 185-190F and in city driving at around 192-203 which is when the fan kicks in and drops it to 192.

Now my question is, if i lower the “DESIRED ECT” to 170F would it bring the fan in earlier so it does not reach 200F while city driving or idling?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok so i may have figured out what the issue was after a bit of playing around with the tuner. Appreciate all your help.

Here is what I did in case someone else faces the same issue:

On my Diablo i3 under cooling fan, it does not give high, medium and low settings (don’t know why) but it gives “DESIRED ECT” which i had set to 190F after installing the 180tstat. When i lowered that further to 180F, the fans started kicking in on 204F and would shut down at 195F which is how it was before the 180T. Now my temps while cruising sit at 185-190F and in city driving at around 192-203 which is when the fan kicks in and drops it to 192.

Now my question is, if i lower the “DESIRED ECT” to 170F would it bring the fan in earlier so it does not reach 200F while city driving or idling?
You could try 175 first and see what happens.You have nothing to lose,if it doesn't pan out and the fan runs constantly,you can always go back to 180

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca