1997 DODGE RAM 1500 5.9L stalls when trying to accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickarcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 Magnum
I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Laramie SLT that will start and run, idles around
1000, but when i accelerate it stumbles... i can slowly apply gas and get to 4000 rpms no
further, but if i push it, then it drops off down to almost zero...if i let off the gas
completely it will recover....if i push the gas to the floor it will stall out...i cleaned the
throttle body and replaced the IAC and TPS...doing that improved it from zero rpms to where i am at now...what should i be looking at?

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Fuel pressure comes to mind... easy to test that, any autoparts store should be able to loan a fuel pressure test kit. Plenty of other things it could be but thats easy to test.
Did you replace with non-oem parts? Because these trucks are kind of snoody when it comes to using Mopar genuine parts for electronics.

ram15005.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum v8
I had those same symptoms but I noticed the fuel pump was making a weird noise along with the engine missing.I was also getting misfire codes.I changed my fuel pump and it fixed that