1999 5.9L 360 won't go over 60

I have a 1999 5.9L 360 that won't go over 60,do you guys have any idea on the problem?

• Something to do with the engine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something to do with the tranny

• Other

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadhouse71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
So what happens at 60. Please explain in detail. Then we might have an idea on what direction you might need to go.

OP
OP
Justin Anaya

Justin Anaya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
At 60 is stays there and I'll try to go back up to speed but then it goes back down to 60 and then when I put my whole foot down it makes a screeching noise and the weird part is that no lights went off like battery or the check engine light

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Does it rev past 3000RPM in neutral?

OP
OP
Justin Anaya

Justin Anaya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
My model doesn't have a rpm gage is only speedometer and a big gas gage

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
A plugged cat could certainly cause this problem. When my original one acutely crapped the bed, I had to drive home at something like 50 on a 65 highway. If I tried to accelerate harder, nothing happened.

As dudeman implied, a plugged cat won't allow our engines to rev beyond 3,000 RPM. Since you don't have a tach, this test will be a little trickier to perform. If you have, or know someone, with a live-data-capable scanner, you can read engine RPM that way.

You noted a screeching noise when you try to accelerate around 60. Does clicking off the overdrive make any difference? Also, does your engine use oil? As I found, when the plenum gasket basically goes "critical," it causes very nasty performance losses. In my case, if I tried to accelerate hard, the CEL would start flashing until I let off the throttle. As a result, I was stuck cruising 60, maybe 65 tops and any attempts to push harder would make the CEL start flickering.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Yeret makes a good point, a plenum gasket that has crapped the bed it can cause various issues and lead to exhaust issues as well. A code reader that does live data will be able to read RPM. Another option is to drive it a bit, then when you stop check the cat, if its glowing, thats an issue, it shouldn't be radiating heat all over under the vehicle, it should just be a bit hot from a foot or two away, not scalding at that distance.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
I second the plugged cat. I had a 99 and had the same symptoms. Although iirc, it didnt want to idle too well either

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can check the cat by pulling the pre cat o2 sensor and seeing if it responds better. It’ll most likely run slightly rich and/or throw an o2 sensor code but you’ll be fine under short drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk