1st time buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hello,

I’m looking to jump out of the Jeep world and getting my first truck. I’ve decided to get a ram but having a hard time knowing exactly what to look for. I really like the trucks with the larger screens in the middle, it seems like there is a small medium and large option here. Is there a specific year or subcategory that they started doing the medium to large size center radios? I test drove a Rebel the other day it was was pretty close to everything I wanted, but when I started asking about specifics the guy from the dealership told me I would have to check online. I don’t want to buy brand new so it would be nice if I could filter results down to what I’m looking for.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

If you look at the Laramie package you'll see the large 12" center stack information center is included. I believe it was introduced for the 2020 model year. With 2021 being right around the corner there may be some good buys available.

The next size is the 8.4" display and lastly there is a 5" display available on the lower trim trucks.

The dealer should be able to answer your questions so find a more knowledgeable sales person or talk to the fleet manager.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
As stated before you have the 12, 8.4, and 5in uconnect systems. Now you can get the 8.4 even in the tradesman edition and the 12 in the slt. Sense your looking for a used truck you common area to look would be a rebel(witch isn50/50), the level 2 Laramie, laramie long horn and the limited for the 12in. If your looking for the 8.4 witch is a pretty big unit you will find it in most trucks common trim level for these are bighorn/lonestar and you can find them in the 19s as well as.

Also I putting up a pic the 12in is the larger one and the 8.4 the smaller but still big one.

s-l400.jpg

download (4).jpeg

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The 12" screen is junk. DO NOT BUY ONE, you will regret it. The 8.4" screen that I had in my 2015 was great, my 2019 has the 12" screen and it has been nothing but trouble. The dealership has had my truck since Oct 9th and they say they are still waiting on Chrysler to give them direction as to repairs/replacement. Just do your research on this site about the 12" screen issues and you will see what other people have to say it them.

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 12" screen is junk. DO NOT BUY ONE, you will regret it. The 8.4" screen that I had in my 2015 was great, my 2019 has the 12" screen and it has been nothing but trouble. The dealership has had my truck since Oct 9th and they say they are still waiting on Chrysler to give them direction as to repairs/replacement. Just do your research on this site about the 12" screen issues and you will see what other people have to say it them.
I agree! JUNK!

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ordered my truck with the 8.4 screen. I too stayed away from the 12" screen. I didn't want the hassle. Good luck.

Red

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's not just the 12.1 inch displays that people have been having problems with. My daughter had major issues with the 8.4 inch display in her 2019 Rebel. Plenty of people had issues with them in 4th gens as well. I will say that I'd avoid a 2019 with the 12.1 inch display, but that's how I am with all new tech. I try to avoid the first model year of a redesign. We have a 2020 Limited with the 12.1 inch display, and a 2020 Laramie with the 8.4 inch display. We haven't had any issues with either display. The large display is kind of cool, but honestly I prefer the 8.4 inch for usability. Which works out perfectly since the Laramie is my daily driver.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
You will never totally leave Jeep, trust me I’ve been trying since 93’.
Yeah, what he said... LOL

OP - welcome to RamForum.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, get what U want. There have been a lot of posts ref functionality and problems with the new 12" screens. Some PPL luv em, and some PPL want to take a crow bar to em. I personally would stay with the 8.4 which I have. But yer Butt, yer wallet, U decide. Never listen to PPL on a forum on a 30--40-50K decision in the end. But all IMHO.....

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RamForum.

If you look at the Laramie package you'll see the large 12" center stack information center is included. I believe it was introduced for the 2020 model year. With 2021 being right around the corner there may be some good buys available.

The next size is the 8.4" display and lastly there is a 5" display available on the lower trim trucks.

The dealer should be able to answer your questions so find a more knowledgeable sales person or talk to the fleet manager.

I believe it was offered in the 2019 model year redesign wasn't it? Also, if all he cares about is the screen than I think you could even get the 12" in the big horn, but I could be wrong about that so someone correct me if I am, I just swear I've seen them before.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
+ 1 vote on the 8.4 screen. Zero problems in the one year I’ve had mine. I do love the look of the 12’ screen but one thing I couldn’t stand would be to have to control the A/C with the touch screen... gimme old fashioned knobs I can turn all day long!
Good luck finding your Ram, you’re gonna love it.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would want to spend time inside the truck and see how easy it is to find information and make adjustments and whether there would be problems doing so while driving.

I rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Alaska and even putting on the defrost and changing the fan speed required going into the menus of the display and scrolling down. Same with changing the heater temp and fan speed settings. This was a major PITA and definitely not something to try to do while driving.

The larger displays do provide a great deal more profit for the dealers.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I believe it was offered in the 2019 model year redesign wasn't it? Also, if all he cares about is the screen than I think you could even get the 12" in the big horn, but I could be wrong about that so someone correct me if I am, I just swear I've seen them before.
Yes, the 12” screen can be had in the Bighorn/Lone Star. 1st 19 Lone Star I test drove had it. Went blackout when the sales rep was demonstrating it. Never came back on. Never considered another truck with it. #firstimpressions

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So the saga continues. I picked up my truck this past Saturday and questioned what they did with the infotainment center. It sounds like they did what I have read from others that are having the same issues. Chrysler had them do a "reset" twice and then reinstalled the latest update, again. Well that worked for a grand total of about 48 hours and it has locked up again. I am now trying to get back in touch with the dealer about this. Ramcares recommended trying another dealer but I don't believe that is going to help since no dealer in the entire nation seems to be able to fix what is clearly a design issue with these 12" infotainment centers.

Looks like I am going to try and track down the law firm that has entered into a class action lawsuit against Chrysler to see if I can join in.