Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
I have the 2019 1500 Classic 4WD and in less than 2 weeks, I'm installing 2.8"Bills front / 1.5"Readylift rear. (installing 35x12.5 too).

I know that this is one of the most discussed topic on here but I wanted to ask anyway based on how I plan to use my truck.

Here's what I currently know from people who installed the same setup specified above or similar:
  • Some have UCA ball joint issues so they recommended new UCA.
  • Some have no issued with stock UCAs.
  • Someone mentioned that the older gen would require new UCA while the new gen (including mine) now have a newer UCA thus, my stock UCA will have no problem.
  • Some with 2017-2019 gens upgraded their UCAs for "additional insurance".
  • Some had swore with high mileage and based on experience that I don't need new UCA.
Here's how I plan to use my truck:
  • 80% will be driven on pavement (highway mostly). Occasionally, I will be towing a small trailer or will be hauling stuff from Home Depot (lumber, blocks, etc.).
  • 20% for offroad trails (Moab, Arizona, Big Bear). I will start on beginner level trails and work my way up to intermediate level trails. (no rock crawling)
The simplest answer is to upgrade my UCA but I want to understand if its an absolute requirement based on how I intend to use it.

Of course, we all drive differently and we drive on different terrains. I think that is where the gap is on my mind. Do I need new UCA based on what I listed above? If you could please elaborate your answers to my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
  • Someone mentioned that the older gen would require new UCA while the new gen (including mine) now have a newer
Whoever said this is wrong. The older rams specifically 4th gen. 2009-2012(excluding some late year 2012 models possibly) all have more robust upper control arms and don't have the ball joint popping issue like the 2013 and up models do.

Replacing them is a good piece of mind, but like you said there are people that don't run into an issue and some that have. I have my bilsteins set at 2.1 and haven't had any issues.(mine so far hasn't seen any offroad)

OP
OP
greatwhitegoat
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Whoever said this is wrong. The older rams specifically 4th gen. 2009-2012(excluding some late year 2012 models possibly) all have more robust upper control arms and don't have the ball joint popping issue like the 2013 and up models do.

Replacing them is a good piece of mind, but like you said there are people that don't run into an issue and some that have. I have my bilsteins set at 2.1 and haven't had any issues.(mine so far hasn't seen any offroad)

thanks for adding "(mine so far hasn't seen any offroad)". did the ball joint issues occur as a wear and tear or at a specific amount of usage (on or off road)?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The way i see it aftermarket will allow your suspension to flex a little better when the struts cycle up/down and most UCA's have an offset to correct caster/camber that's beneficial once you lift past certain height. There is some of that already built in the stockers i'd think because for example those RAMs equipped with the air suspension can go up to 2" above stock ? I doubt anybody have checked alignment specs with their air suspension lifted 2" compared to stock, or at least i haven't seeing it and see if there are noticeable differences. I went aftermarket even when i had my Rancho QL struts at 2", the truck is also my DD and offroad toy and i do go out more than 20% offroading although at the moment is every other weekend for now cause it's raining like crap and i couldn't care less about driving through mud.

OP
OP
greatwhitegoat
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
The way i see it aftermarket will allow your suspension to flex a little better when the struts cycle up/down and most UCA's have an offset to correct caster/camber that's beneficial once you lift past certain height. There is some of that already built in the stockers i'd think because for example those RAMs equipped with the air suspension can go up to 2" above stock ? I doubt anybody have checked alignment specs with their air suspension lifted 2" compared to stock, or at least i haven't seeing it and see if there are noticeable differences. I went aftermarket even when i had my Rancho QL struts at 2", the truck is also my DD and offroad toy and i do go out more than 20% offroading although at the moment is every other weekend for now cause it's raining like crap and i couldn't care less about driving through mud.

This is what I've been trying to figure out. If I go 2.8, is my stock UCA past the "certain height" you mentioned? Did you upgrade your UCA when you installed the 2" struts? What's your recommendation for me? New UCA?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I've been trying to figure out. If I go 2.8, is my stock UCA past the "certain height" you mentioned? Did you upgrade your UCA when you installed the 2" struts? What's your recommendation for me? New UCA?
I did get them at the same time I had the 2" struts and yes I'll say go for it.

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bils DO NOT effect the ball joint(UCA)... Its front spacers that the issue is with!!
the 2 should NEVER be used together!!!

OP
OP
greatwhitegoat
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Bils DO NOT effect the ball joint(UCA)... Its front spacers that the issue is with!!

I read this a lot. I guess I'm trying to understand why some people had issues or were worried that Bils causes issues for them. Would you recommend that my stock UCA is good for light offroading???

30stones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Running 2.8 upfront and 1.5 in the back do you think you'll have a lot of rake of be fairly level? Been thinking of going 2.8 and 1" in the rear I also have 1.5" bodylift

OP
OP
greatwhitegoat
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Running 2.8 upfront and 1.5 in the back do you think you'll have a lot of rake of be fairly level? Been thinking of going 2.8 and 1" in the rear I also have 1.5" bodylift

How much rake do you have? It's going to be my first time lifting my truck so I expect 1.25 to 1.75 rake. I havent taken the time to measure the stock rake on a level pavement so I still don't know what I'll end up with.

30stones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much rake do you have? It's going to be my first time lifting my truck so I expect 1.25 to 1.75 rake. I havent taken the time to measure the stock rake on a level pavement so I still don't know what I'll end up with.
As I sit now I have 2in spacers up front and nothing in the back besides the 1.5 body lift and Im at pretty much 41 1/4 all the way around. I want to get rid of the spacers and go with bils upfront. Figured if i go .8" higher in the front then 1" more in the back should put me closer to level than if i put 1.5". If your towing a lot thought I'd suggest getting a little bit of rake in the rear. I don't tow much so that's why I'd rather be closer to level.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
This is not true. There have been people who have popped the ball joints in oem uca’s with bilsteins set at 2.8. There have also been people that have popped the ball joints in the mevotech uca's

However yes it is a much bigger issue with spacers

OP
OP
greatwhitegoat
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
This is not true. There have been people who have popped the ball joints in oem uca’s with bilsteins set at 2.8. There have also been people that have popped the ball joints in the mevotech uca's

However yes it is a much bigger issue with spacers

Do you recall how others popped the ball joints in mevotech UCA at 2.8? Were there other mods? Were they offroading?

OP
OP
greatwhitegoat
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
As I sit now I have 2in spacers up front and nothing in the back besides the 1.5 body lift and Im at pretty much 41 1/4 all the way around. I want to get rid of the spacers and go with bils upfront. Figured if i go .8" higher in the front then 1" more in the back should put me closer to level than if i put 1.5". If your towing a lot thought I'd suggest getting a little bit of rake in the rear. I don't tow much so that's why I'd rather be closer to level.

Agreed, I still need to keep some rake since I'll be towing a small trailer.

Last edited:

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read this a lot. I guess I'm trying to understand why some people had issues or were worried that Bils causes issues for them. Would you recommend that my stock UCA is good for light offroading???
I can only say I do light off roading and have no issues and its been a year

Omilon69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I did it 2.5 inch ready lift nothing in the back on a 2018 and it still has a little less than half inch rake

30stones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did it 2.5 inch ready lift nothing in the back on a 2018 and it still has a little less than half inch rake
I'm sitting at maybe 1/4" rake. I have 2" front spacer plus 1.5 body lift on top of that. So then I have 1.5 in the rear with the body lift. So if I had .8 on top of the 2 I already have I'd be nose high a little bit unless I'd add something to the rear. Mine is an outdoorsman not 100% but I think they might sit higher than regular Rams? I could be wrong on that I think something is different in the suspension though.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I have the 2019 1500 Classic 4WD and in less than 2 weeks, I'm installing 2.8"Bills front / 1.5"Readylift rear. (installing 35x12.5 too).

I know that this is one of the most discussed topic on here but I wanted to ask anyway based on how I plan to use my truck.

Here's what I currently know from people who installed the same setup specified above or similar:
  • Some have UCA ball joint issues so they recommended new UCA.
  • Some have no issued with stock UCAs.
  • Someone mentioned that the older gen would require new UCA while the new gen (including mine) now have a newer UCA thus, my stock UCA will have no problem.
  • Some with 2017-2019 gens upgraded their UCAs for "additional insurance".
  • Some had swore with high mileage and based on experience that I don't need new UCA.
Here's how I plan to use my truck:
  • 80% will be driven on pavement (highway mostly). Occasionally, I will be towing a small trailer or will be hauling stuff from Home Depot (lumber, blocks, etc.).
  • 20% for offroad trails (Moab, Arizona, Big Bear). I will start on beginner level trails and work my way up to intermediate level trails. (no rock crawling)
The simplest answer is to upgrade my UCA but I want to understand if its an absolute requirement based on how I intend to use it.

Of course, we all drive differently and we drive on different terrains. I think that is where the gap is on my mind. Do I need new UCA based on what I listed above? If you could please elaborate your answers to my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

From my experience purchase them once the stock ones go bad. Big dips will break the stock ball joints over time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca