2 sets of rims and tpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark3w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Anyone have any experience with 2 sets of rims (winter - summer) and tpms. Do the tpms automatically detect the tpms sensors every time you put the seasonal rims on the truck?

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
x3

just slapped on a set of used oem wheels with used LT tires. Took less than a block for the TPMS to read 55psi in the new tires from the 38psi I ran in the old ones.

ToyHaulin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi® MDS VVT
I'm assuming this applies to 5th Gen model years 2019, 2020, 2021?

If I needed to buy a second set of TPMS valve stems, do I have to buy OEM, or can any with the matching MHz be expected to be compatible?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm assuming this applies to 5th Gen model years 2019, 2020, 2021?

If I needed to buy a second set of TPMS valve stems, do I have to buy OEM, or can any with the matching MHz be expected to be compatible?
well you are not going to be buying OEM ones as they are on back order and have been for a month at least and most places do not know when they will be available.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a set off of Amazon and they working great after 3 years. I recently changed tires and having an issues with the second set of sensors a bought. They use to work great when I first bought them, but installed them again and they don’t stay on and shut off with the truck. Have to drive a few KMs and they kick on. Samething every time I shut the truck off for more than 10 mins. Looked up my code via “dash light scan” on my scanner and it said something about “winter mode” which from what I hear, dealer has to reset.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I got two sets of what were supposed to be OEM off eBay that wouldn't sync up and gave me a TPMS light on the dash. Went to the dealer I bought a brand new set OEM in Mopar bags and the evic was reading them in about a mile. Trying to save $75 buying the eBay ones cost me $200 in extra Mount and balances. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for! $123 with tax out the door for 4 sensors

Last edited:

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got two sets of what we're supposed to be OEM off eBay that wouldn't sync up and gave me a TPMS light on the dash. Went to the dealer I bought a brand new set OEM in Mopar bags and the evic was reading them in about a mile. Trying to save $75 buying the eBay ones cost me $200 in extra Mount and balances. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for! $123 with tax out the door for 4 sensors
yes there is a scammer on ebay claiming to be selling OEM but they are not. When I asked him to give me photos of the date codes he said he could not do that and said he bought them in bulk so they did not have packaging lol. All mopar stuff comes in packaging. I also emailed Schrader's tech line and they told me that their sensors were often counterfeited.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
yes there is a scammer on ebay claiming to be selling OEM but they are not. When I asked him to give me photos of the date codes he said he could not do that and said he bought them in bulk so they did not have packaging lol. All mopar stuff comes in packaging. I also emailed Schrader's tech line and they told me that their sensors were often counterfeited.

Where are the date codes and what do they look like?

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where are the date codes and what do they look like?
every factory mopar product I have ever bought had a date on the packaging. On sensors they also have dates stamped I have bought counterfeit ones that the date codes were not very defined. this is an OEM out of a 2014 jeep jk. the month and year are in the circles and defined. the arrows are pointing to the 4th month and 13 year.912D4DC5-118F-4A47-89BF-F0B0519F356D_1_201_a.jpeg

Biz_dev1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys! First post here, but I’ve been reading and learning lots on here for a month now (which happens to be my first month of ownership of my first ever Ram truck AND first ever brand new car!). Awesome info all around the forum and folks all seem to be nice guys!

this thread caught my attention as last week I bought a set of oem 17" steel rims (all 4 have the mopar stickers with part number on them) equipped with the tpms. I mounted them on the truck last weekend, pressure is good (39psi if I recall), but since they were mounted, I still didn’t get a pressure reading. Each time I start the truck the info in the middle of the cluster switches from the current speed, my usual choice of display, to the screen showing the tires with a - reading next to each... Anyones knows a workaround this issue? Could it lead to systems being limited by the truck for safety reasons because it thinks pressure is bad in all tires?

Thanks a lot for any input guys!

Cheers!

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Hey guys! First post here, but I’ve been reading and learning lots on here for a month now (which happens to be my first month of ownership of my first ever Ram truck AND first ever brand new car!). Awesome info all around the forum and folks all seem to be nice guys!

this thread caught my attention as last week I bought a set of oem 17" steel rims (all 4 have the mopar stickers with part number on them) equipped with the tpms. I mounted them on the truck last weekend, pressure is good (39psi if I recall), but since they were mounted, I still didn’t get a pressure reading. Each time I start the truck the info in the middle of the cluster switches from the current speed, my usual choice of display, to the screen showing the tires with a - reading next to each... Anyones knows a workaround this issue? Could it lead to systems being limited by the truck for safety reasons because it thinks pressure is bad in all tires?

Thanks a lot for any input guys!

Cheers!
09-2013 use different mhz sensors than, 14+ use. I just bought some wheels with new sensors and tires from a 2011 Ram for my 2013, worked perfect, nothing needed done, reset within first few miles. But the newer 14+ sensor would not work. Sometime mid to late 2013 or early 14 they changed the sensors to different mhz. I thought all 13+ classic style would be same, but nope. Just like the 2014+ Evic will not work correctly in my 2013.

Biz_dev1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
09-2013 use different mhz sensors than, 14+ use. I just bought some wheels with new sensors and tires from a 2011 Ram for my 2013, worked perfect, nothing needed done, reset within first few miles. But the newer 14+ sensor would not work. Sometime mid to late 2013 or early 14 they changed the sensors to different mhz. I thought all 13+ classic style would be same, but nope. Just like the 2014+ Evic will not work correctly in my 2013.

Ok so I would have to find out if the sensors are prior to 2014? I was told by the person who sold them that they were only like 2 years old and quite frankly, they look like so... Assuming they are post 2014 (like if they are 2018 like seller said), they should be working? Would there be a trick then to "wake em up"? I read that people having the same issue had to inflate all tires beyond recommended pressure (my truck requires 39psi, so possibly 40+) then the sensors would start reading again and only then I could bring the down to what I want, is this a technique that could do it?

Thanks for the info btw, quite appreciated!

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
My 2013 Ram 44 psi cold if I remember right and if drops to around 39, my tpms light comes on. I have 17 inch oem size wheels. For sure if the sensors are 2013 or below they won't work right on a 2018. When low tire pressure light comes on, I had to fully inflate tires to 44 psi then tpms light went off, then it would allow me to drop pressure to like 42 psi and not set off cell. If I only went from say 35psi to 42 cell stayed on until I went up to 44. Was driving me crazy trying to figure out why 42 wasn't resetting it. So I inflated all tires to 44 and zero issues after. I just put on a new set of wheels and tpms sensors I bought on CL, with 2011 tpms sensors and my truck recognized the sensors the first 10 miles or less of driving.

Last edited: