2000 Ram 1500 2WD Level Kit questions, Tire sizes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000DirtyDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Club Cab SLT
Engine
5.9/Auto/2WD
Hey all,

Pretty new to this forum. I picked up my ram really cheap. So, everything I put into it is to make it run better and look better.

My question is does anyone have any pics of a 2in Level kit on a 2 wheel drive Ram?

What size tire can you run with the level kit? I have 265/70/17s on it. I would like to run a 285.

Thanks for the help!

Greg

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Years ago I read an article where a magazine installed a 3 inch lift on a 2wd ram and ran a 285 tire.
It looked pretty much like a stock 4wd truck.

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 2wd also, do your 265s rub with the stock ride height. ive been wanting to get some bigger tires.

OP
OP

2000DirtyDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Club Cab SLT
Engine
5.9/Auto/2WD
Ya they rub and they are Nitto Grapplers. They are totally worn down and are gonna pops. I just bought, today, Dunlop AT's 265/70/17. Now i got the truck with the Nittos warn down already and they rub when i cut the wheel hard.

So, I found a 3-2 Lift on ebay for like 100 bucks. Ima get that and see how she does.

My truck is quite the project truck. Some lil jerk kid had it didnt take care of it. But, it runs great and everything works and for 500 bucks i cant beat it.

OP
OP

2000DirtyDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Club Cab SLT
Engine
5.9/Auto/2WD
Years ago I read an article where a magazine installed a 3 inch lift on a 2wd ram and ran a 285 tire.
It looked pretty much like a stock 4wd truck.

Ya I guess thats the problem us 2wd drive guys have, we are just trying to "look" 4wd. lol.

I dont care I just want it to look good, i live on the Panhandle in FL, so i really have no need to 4wd unless I cant get my bass boat out of the water, then i backed down to far so I would be screwed both ways.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Ya I guess thats the problem us 2wd drive guys have, we are just trying to "look" 4wd. lol.

I dont care I just want it to look good, i live on the Panhandle in FL, so i really have no need to 4wd unless I cant get my bass boat out of the water, then i backed down to far so I would be screwed both ways.

It's your truck son, do what you want! All I ask is you do it with pride in your work and in a way that doesn't detract from it's safety.
The problem with cheap 3 inch lifts on 2wds is the same as 4wd trucks. They do the job, but place stress on other components because they don't do it the best way.
The lift article I read used a lift that was more than a spacer. I believe it used either a new upper arm or replaced spindle. These lifts ensure proper ride and handling. Sounds like your previous owner fixed everything half azzed, if at all. My advice would be to caution yourself not to follow the same path.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2000DirtyDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Club Cab SLT
Engine
5.9/Auto/2WD
It's your truck son, do what you want! All I ask is you do it with pride in your work and in a way that doesn't detract from it's safety.
The problem with cheap 3 inch lifts on 2wds is the same as 4wd trucks. They do the job, but place stress on other components because they don't do it the best way.
The lift article I read used a lift that was more than a spacer. I believe it used either a new upper arm or replaced spindle. These lifts ensure proper ride and handling. Sounds like your previous owner fixed everything half azzed, if at all. My advice would be to caution yourself not to follow the same path.

Roger that,

Thats what im currently trying to do, i want it to look as good as it should. I love dodges, always been a fan. Ill take your advice and look into different kits.

Greg

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2wd I've got a daystar 2.5" spacer on top of the existing 6" rc lift. Rides better then stock to me.

Oh BTW Florida boys don't need 4wd around here!!

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
If I had a 2wd truck and were going to lift it, I would do at least a 6 inch lift, or a 3 inch suspension with a 3 inch body lift. Make it big!

I don't need 4wd either, but I have it. :birgits_tiredcoffee