2000 Ram 1500 4x4: Revs high in 1st but will smoothly shift to 2nd if I let off gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

milkyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello - 1st time poster.

I bought a 2000 Ram 1500 Extended 4x4 with 5.9L and high mileage (198K).

Everything functions properly except the transmission. Seems like in 1st and in 2nd gear it will rev high until I take foot off gas, then it will switch smoothly. All gears will shift beautifully/silently but going from 1 to 2 and then from 2 to 3 I can only do by letting foot off gas.

Per my research this is extremely common and is the governor pressure sensor + solenoid.

For $98 I ordered the set: A518 48RE 42 Transmission Governor Pressure Solenoid Sensor Transducer Kit 00 | eBay

And I am having my mechanic put it in (1.5 hours labor).

Question is what is the probability that this will correct the issue? Because it is so common I am hoping for a 50-50 chance. Can anyone put a percentage guess on whether it is a blown transmission or the common solenoid/sensor failure?

Fluid is red. No engine codes or any lights on dash.

OP
OP
M

milkyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone want to take a stab at this? I have until mid next week until part comes in so that is why I ask.

Wondering if I am throwing away $250 or if it is likely to fix the trans issue mentioned?

lucemsequimur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
There's a very good chance that you're correct in the fact that it's the solenoid, that's usually what I hear about failing on these. It's likely to fix it imho, I have the same problem but it's so on-and-off that I haven't really bothered to look into fixing it. Seems to be that it's only every once and a while that it revs up and hits the fuel cutoff unless I let off so it can shift. It'll probably get worse though. Not sure. But yeah, I'd imagine that there's a good chance that that would fix it. You don't really need a mechanic to do it, by the way. It's a job you should be able to do at home if you have the time and a little bit of skill. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
M

milkyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a very good chance that you're correct in the fact that it's the solenoid, that's usually what I hear about failing on these. It's likely to fix it imho, I have the same problem but it's so on-and-off that I haven't really bothered to look into fixing it. Seems to be that it's only every once and a while that it revs up and hits the fuel cutoff unless I let off so it can shift. It'll probably get worse though. Not sure. But yeah, I'd imagine that there's a good chance that that would fix it. You don't really need a mechanic to do it, by the way. It's a job you should be able to do at home if you have the time and a little bit of skill. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for response. I got it at a dealers auction so it is unclear how long it was driven with this issue.

Regarding doing it myself...

#1 I am not that handy. If I tried to do it it would take me probably 4 hours (although guarantee I would get stuck somewhere and the frustration and stress would be enraging!).

#2 I would rather pay the 1.5 hours of labor ($120) than mess with it myself. Not a bad price...I'm sure a dealership would want $1000 for the same job.

lucemsequimur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
It'd probably take me around the same time haha, the difference is that $120 is a LOT of money to me. Hopefully this will fix it for you. Unfortunately without any codes popping up, it's hard to tell from what I've read.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Check the TV cable up at the TB make sure it is adjusted to spec, also make sure it is hooked up at the tranny end of things and that there is a return spring on that end.

OP
OP
M

milkyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: DID NOT fix issue! Mechanic found a metal piece he was unsure about in the transmission pan. Anyone know what this is? Sry, bad pic...
TU4F7pR.jpgMxqpxaD.jpg

OP
OP
M

milkyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the TV cable up at the TB make sure it is adjusted to spec, also make sure it is hooked up at the tranny end of things and that there is a return spring on that end.

He did not do this but going to let him know about it...

OP
OP
M

milkyway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: DID NOT fix issue! Mechanic found a metal piece he was unsure about in the transmission pan. Anyone know what this is? Sry, bad pic...
TU4F7pR.jpgMxqpxaD.jpg

Does anyone know what this metal shrapnel could be? It was in pan. Also, is there another solenoid/sensor that can be changed out to "magically" fix said issue? :favorites13: