2001 1500 Gas tank problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rodonnj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will only fill about halfway everytime. No lights, no codes. I"m sure it's a pressure issue. Could it be evap, change fuel pump, or change tank? Best way to diagnose? Is this common for this year?

thanks for any assistance

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
So your using the little handle holder thingy at the pump and it clicks off at half tank? Do you add more after it clicks off? I dont know if thats normal or not. I had to think about it for a sec, I'm sure mine clicks off up close to full. How does it run?

OP
OP
R

rodonnj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've tried filling it slow, I've tried moving the gas filler in many directions. Can't get more than half a tank in there. I espent 15 minutes on it once until gas shot out of the filler neck. still only half a tank.

Truck runs just fine. just can't get more gas in it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
How do you know it's only 1/2 tank? If you're going by the needle you may be filling it all the way and it's not reading right.

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
If gas shot out of the filler neck I would think its safe to say its full. are you visually seeing a half tank or is the gauge saying half tank?

OP
OP
R

rodonnj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I waited for the reserve light to come on and then drove it for another 20 miles. It would only take about 15 gallons when I filled it.

I also did the dashboard test that tests all of your gauges and the gas gauge passed that.

I'm going to try and mess with the venting hose and see if that's it.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet it's full. Thinking your indication system is faulty. Suspect your sending unit talks to the gauge and the light.

OP
OP
R

rodonnj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I disconnected the vent hose and blew compressed air through the hose to the tank. got air coming through the gas filler neck so that's good.

I had 1/8 tank of gas and the reserve light just came on. I filled the tank and it took 13.1 gallons. (This is more than the last 2 times) I figure that it should have taken 20. The gauge went to 5/8.

suggestions? So should I carry a gas can and drive it until it stops?

Or could the rollover valves or some other valve not be working?

thanks for your interest!