2001 1500 stalls at slow speed and idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jc33777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9L
I just got the truck, first dodge, looking for some help. It stalls at idle, the rpm's just drop till it stalls. Also while braking or turning or sitting at a red light it's basically when I don't have my foot on the gas. It's random but often enough to where it's a danger. I loose power steering and power brakes. Also at about 55mph it seems like the motor is trying to break off the mounts, it's like it is bucking. it's kind of scary. Anyone got any ideas? If you want any more info just ask. Also it has a new battery.

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Sounds like two things. (1) Check for a vacuum leak. (2) I don't know what to make of the bucking motor at 55, but I think my tranny is making a lot of noise at 50+... Still trying to figure that out.

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Im no expert.. but Ill throw in my two cents until the car guys on here reply. It sounds like the bucking could be a timing issue or a misfire. A misfire will cause the engine to rattle a little bit.. but as far as bucking? Im not sure.

OP
OP
J

jc33777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9L
Sounds like two things. (1) Check for a vacuum leak. (2) I don't know what to make of the bucking motor at 55, but I think my tranny is making a lot of noise at 50+... Still trying to figure that out.

is it suffocating? starving for air

Im no expert.. but Ill throw in my two cents until the car guys on here reply. It sounds like the bucking could be a timing issue or a misfire. A misfire will cause the engine to rattle a little bit.. but as far as bucking? Im not sure.

thanks for all the reply's. i have changed the iac so its not that but yeah i am thinking it might be a vacuum leak what would be the easiest way to check that i was thinking smoke from a cigar just blow it in....also since i changed the iac it has gotten a little bit better on the stalling with the air off if i turn the air on forget it, it will stall pretty much every time i go to idle. as for the rough ride at 55+ it seems like the engine is sputtering it might be starving for air. also for a 5.9 it just don't seem like it has the power it should have.

OP
OP
J

jc33777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9L
well i took it to an auto parts store and pulled code p0601 :(

BoostedGS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm have similar problems with my 2000 5.9, Ive changed the Plugs, Wire, Cap, Rotor, Coil, IAC, TPS, MAP and Downstream 02 Sensor. I pull 50 lbs of pressure from the fuel rail even when its dying out at idle and I'm still lost on what the cause is. I pull no codes. I know its not the Intake Plenum, next I'm going to take off the throttle body and clean it, try the upstream 02's and if that doesn't work I'm just cutting my losses and selling the truck.