2001 5.9 Sport rear differential problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Belser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I'm having some issues with my rear differential. The window sticker calls it an 'anti-spin' differential. I guess that means limited slip. I decided to change my diff oil this weekend and found one large piece of steel and a few other fragments stuck to the magnet at the bottom. I've never heard any abnormal noise from the rear diff, but this prompted me to do some further investigating. I noticed that there were multiple metal plates behind the bevel gears for each axle that had worn grooves into the surrounding metal. I couldn't see any broken ones but the metal obviously came from somewhere. I will post a link or some pictures. I'm hoping there are some 2nd gen savy people on here that can help me out. I love this truck! Thanks for your time

A breif history of my truck:
2001 Ram 1500 Sport
5.9 v8 gas
Originally from New Jersey but brought to Florida before i bought it a little over a year ago with 112k miles. It has 126k miles now. Im trying to get her back in shape.20191124_130146.jpg 20191124_125630.jpg 20191124_130027.jpg

20191124_130142.jpg

20191124_125626.jpg

Reactions: Mop

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2000 sport with the same axle and most likely the same problem and I'm still in freakin NJ! Check out other threads on this condition in this section. Several good comments and recommendations. The one I recall from a mechanic? stated that he services them all the time and he opens the cover, flushes the fragments out, refills with fresh lubricant and sends them on their way! (don't forget the special "whale *****?" additive) for limited slip rear ends! Good Luck! :gr_grin:

OP
OP
A

Andrew Belser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yup see it all the time with these,the clutchs are worn out.
Is it something to worry about? Or will it function just like a normal diff now. I have no problems going around corners and I haven't put any additive in it yet. Thanks for the replies guys

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This has been a common issue with the Trak-Lok diff in the 9.25 Corporate Axle. The broken metal piece is one of the clutch retainers. It will still function like a limited slip for the most part but without the retainers in place the clutch discs do not have the same amount of holding power.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Belser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
This has been a common issue with the Trak-Lok diff in the 9.25 Corporate Axle. The broken metal piece is one of the clutch retainers. It will still function like a limited slip for the most part but without the retainers in place the clutch discs do not have the same amount of holding power.
Thanks. That's a relief. Now all i have to worry about is my tranny rebuild

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Here's the real problem though.

When the clutches get metal to metal, those metal particles start to travel through the bearings. Yes, some is caught in the magnet at the bottom of the housing but not all of it.

Eventually the metal particles find a weak spot, usually the pinion bearing. And they work on it until it squeals, then roars, then comes apart. If the noise was ignored, then the destruction can be catastrophic. The pinion will try to shove itself through the ring gear into the differential housing. Really not a question of if, but when.

You have time to properly repair the issue. Simply have the clutches and retainers replaced. It's cheaper than an aftermarket differential.

BTW, should the rear lock while the vehicle is moving, it will shove all the engine power back into the drivetrain. Ever see a blown up transmission sprag? I have.

493mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10

When the clutches get metal to metal, those metal particles start to travel through the bearings. Yes, some is caught in the magnet at the bottom of the housing but not all of it.

Eventually the metal particles find a weak spot, usually the pinion bearing. And they work on it until it squeals, then roars, then comes apart. If the noise was ignored, then the destruction can be catastrophic. The pinion will try to shove itself through the ring gear into the differential housing. Really not a question of if, but when.

You have time to properly repair the issue. Simply have the clutches and retainers replaced. It's cheaper than an aftermarket differential.

BTW, should the rear lock while the vehicle is moving, it will shove all the engine power back into the drivetrain. Ever see a blown up transmission sprag? I have.

I have to agree with Okiespaniel, it will destroy itself. Fix it now!
Mike

OP
OP
A

Andrew Belser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum

You think all I need is the retainera and clutch plates?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You think all I need is the retainera and clutch plates?
I have repaired too many to remember with new clutches and retainers. I would inspect the spider gears and the pinion mate shaft for uneven or irregular wear as well.