Swapping a 2000 5.9 gas from a 2000 R/T to a 2001 5.9 QCSB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob2gen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mopar Magnum 360
So have a 2000 R/T 5.9 motor on a stand in a buddy's shop that has 230K on it but has a 30k short block. Was running when it was pulled. If I wanted to swap this motor with my truck's stock motor from 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 QBSB, will the PCM care? The HP rating for the 2000 motor is 250 HP, vs. 245HP for the 2001 motor. Not sure if it's a big deal but bought it on a whim 3 years ago... (bought it to stroke to 408 to be honest). Anyway, any comments would be appreciated

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I THINK that the R/T engines have 2.02 intake valves on the cylinder heads vs the standard 1.92 valves. They both use the same intake manifold, which bottlenecks even the standard engines, so I can't imagine the larger valves would help much.

I'm lesser certain, but the R/T engines might have a different camshaft grind that would probably work well with the larger valves, but, again, you still have the same restrictions of the beer keg.

If those two factors are true, the R/T engine would probably get even more benefit from an Air Gap swap than the standard engines, and you're going to have to reflash the computer in either case anyway.

In my opinion, if your current engine is running just fine, I highly doubt it'd be worth the swap. As a spanner in the works, I believe the factory R/T heads are just as prone to cracking problems between the valve seats as are the regular heads.

Buuut, having a second, similar engine hanging around would be quite nice to build up while still allowing you to drive the vehicle with the engine that's already in it. That way, you can take your time and set it up exactly how you'll want it.