2001 ram 1500 steering adjustment puts on some lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
I have a 2001 ram 1500 5.9L gas, super cab, short bed, 125k miles, brand new transmission at 124k, brand new rear end at 116k. 5inch suspension lift, 2inch spacers, 35" tires, AFE cold air intake, cat-back magnaflow exhaust, pioneer deck, and new aftermarket wall speakers.
oh and towing mirrors which by the way, the electric adjuster doesn't move the glass I have to adjust them by hand, maybe that's something to add or not? I don't know honestly, this calls for the wiring experts! Read below!

I mention all of this because I have a WEIRD problem. So when the bottom of the top of the steering wheel is just covering the tip of the 60mph mark on the speedometer everything is fine. I went to raise the steering wheel and all of the sudden my ABS light turned on, my Parking break light turned on, my airbag light turned on, my speedometer jumped to zero, and my transmission was shifting noticeably higher, around 2700-3000rpms instead of 2200. I tested my breaks as soon as it happened and they worked fine, once It shifted it was driving fine, just these lights went on and my speedo turned off.

Could it be something with the upgrades I have?
Is the raised steering wheel pulling on some wires?
Maybe when they installed the speakers they moved some wires to a bad spot?
Has anyone ever had similar problems?

Now i'm driving at the steering wheel one position lower, where the steering wheel is at the tip of the 60 mark as i mentioned and the problem never occurs. She drives fine with the typical dodgy wandering steering that 2nd gens have.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Could be the clock-spring in the column causing your problems. Info on this can be found in the 2001 FSM page starting on page 685.

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Could be the clock-spring in the column causing your problems. Info on this can be found in the 2001 FSM page starting on page 685.

Wouldn't that only solve the airbag problem though?