2003 4.7L Rough Idle, jerking, and engine cutting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bustjesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Hello,
I was driving my truck the other day when I noticed my truck jerk as if a gear shifted while stopped. I thought nothing of it and got on the highway just fine and drove fine but as I was idling at a stop after I got off the highway my engine completely died. I still had power to all my accessories but no engine. I restarted it perfectly and it drove fine after but later that night I started it and revved it multiple times to try and diagnose it but now it would drop rpms with and dim the lights about three times like a pulse to try and bring the rpm's up it died once but started up again just fine. Today while driving it would jerk every now and then and drop rpms but they would come in "spells" It would be fine then rough idle. I'm assuming it could be the ignition coils off of a video with similar symptoms but I wanted some feedback or any advice anyone might have. I was planning on replacing the coils as well as the spark plugs. I don't believe it has ever had these components serviced and it has 92,000 miles. Thank you

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a 03 so it could be TPS sensor or the idle air control valve scan your truck any codes? those 2 are normally replaced in pairs. It would also be a good idea to do a tune up if you havnt. Another thing would be to test your battery if its old and alternator.

OP
OP
B

bustjesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I kind of ruled out all that because I've got no voltage changes on my gauge and I've got no codes. I plugged in through the obd and the absolute throttle position seems to respond based on data I was getting. The battery is quite old but it does start up normally with no hesitation. This issue is tricky cause there's no code to try and help me figure it out. I'll attach a link to a video where a guy had similar issues but his truck would die when he sped up but he too had no codes. Video. I have found another video talking about the map sensor and tps sensor I might try those first.Video #2

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was dealing with the same issue. And i went through everything until i bumped my head and went back to the 3 basics, fuel air spark. I had a bad coil plug. I took my meter and check the resistance on each one, very easy to do, until I found the only one that had a different reading, replaced it and boom back to normal.