2004 5.7 Timing Cover Oil Leak Advice and Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RandysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I joined this forum to get some advice on an issue regarding a 2004 Ram Hemi 189K miles. The truck was my dad's, and the truck sat for a couple years after his passing. My sister has taken the vehicle over and just got the truck road worthy. It appears to have developed a decent oil leak at the timing chain cover.

I am looking for advice as to what will be needing to be replaced and what to inspect while I have the timing cover off. My dad picked it up at around 180K so I don't know much of the truck's maintenance history. I plan on getting a new timing cover and water pump gasket.

Is there any other parts I NEED to get and what should I inspect with the timing cover off?

I am unsure of the reliability of the timing components. Is there a way to inspect the timing chain and tensioner?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 4

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just change the timing set since you're in there. they are dirt cheap on Rock auto.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
New water pump & t-stat , maybe new hoses if they appear original.