2004 Ram 2500 rear end gears & transmission questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hi folks, I'm just wondering the best way to figure out the gears I have in my truck.

I bought it used about 3 years ago and I'm pretty sure everything in it is stock. It's a SLT model.

With that, what are the stock gears? What might be a good and inexpensive upgrade to get better acceleration?

Also, how do I determine the transmission in it? 5 or 6 speed? I'm pretty sure it's only a 5 speed.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Email Dodge

And they will provide you with a full report based upon your VIN. It usually takes them a day or so to email it off.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If you think its possible somebody could have changed the gears then you could check the gear ratio by counting the number of turns of the driveshaft compared to the rear wheels. I would tape a string to the drive shaft and roll the truck 10 tire revolutions. Count how many times the string wraps arround the driveshaft and divide by 10.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
There is usually a sticker in the glovebox that has the gear ratio on it. Or you could look at the tag on the rear axle. It should be on one end near the inside of the tire.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
Nice!
It works great! Only thing would be if it has been modified then you would need to look at the tag.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Thanks for all the feedback and great sites to try. I'm pretty sure I'm pure stock but I don't know what that means. Just trying to get a baseline so I understand my truck better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk