2005 Ram 1500 5.7 Vacuum In Crankcase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I picked up a 05 Ram 1500 5.7 for scrap price.. body is actually in good shape. It has been a long time since I worked on a older hemi and cant say I have seen this issue before. It fires right up but runs terrible and smokes engine sounds good no noise oil looks good I have yet to tear it apart it doesnt have any helpful engine codes. I noticed while its running if I pull the oil fill there is a crazy vaccum coming from cankcase enough to hold the cap on... I plan to pull the intake do bunch of tests ect to see whats up. But could something like a bad EGR cause this? i checked out the PCV system looks ok will look that over more once apart any suggestions appreciated.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Back before any kind of smog emissions were mandated ...............

Vehicle engines had what was called, a road draft tube.
That tube, was there to relieve the pressure that built up in the engines Combustion Chamber.
It was a simple devise, it was a metal tube, that fit into a hole in either the rear or side of the block, it was long enough to hang below all of the sheet metal of the vehicle

1690762232779.png
look at the Black tube by the fly wheel

1690762446197.png
then the government, mandated that the road draft tube be removed & a fitting must be inserted into the block & a hose must carry the pressure to either the oil fill cap or intake manifold
1690762713212.png
then rules were again changed & the PCV was designed, that was after some bad designs, that made a California's Governors Brother In Law very rich.
Today the exhaust passes through the PVC & the pressure is run through the engine again, instead of just running it into the exhaust & then into the Catalytic Converter(s)

The Combustion Chamber pressure, carries a film of oil through the PCV, allowing the oil film to enter the intake manifold, hurts the intake manifold & other internal parts.
SO, many people are adding Air/Oil Separators, we call them Catch Cans, because they capture the Oil Mist & allow the Air Pressure to pass freely into the Intake Manifold

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
By the way, remove the PVC & shake it
it should sound something like a small rock in tin can

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welp looks like it dropped a valve seat piston has a hole in it... didnt think it would be that due to it not knocking lol.. Guna drop the pan hone cylinder new head and piston slap it back together good enough for what it is.