2006 ram 1500 4.7 tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrfreak64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm trying to find the source of my tick. It doesn't tick until the engine warms up. The sound of the tick is most noticable at idle and decreases when I rev up the engine. If I shut the engine off then restart, the ticking takes a little bit to start up again. I already changed all the lifters and both exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts. Also took the belt of to make sure it wasn't a belt driven accessory. Any ideas what to check next? Thanks.

OP
OP
M

mrfreak64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm trying to find the source of my tick. It doesn't tick until the engine warms up. The sound of the tick is most noticable at idle and decreases when I rev up the engine. If I shut the engine off then restart, the ticking takes a little bit to start up again. I already changed all the lifters and both exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts. Also took the belt of to make sure it wasn't a belt driven accessory. Any ideas what to check next? Thanks.
Here's some videos

Dakota76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was wondering if you ever found out the problem I been chasing down a noise like this for a few months. I changed pretty well everything timing chain kit manifold gaskets lifters and rockers and tested coils and injectors and replaced spark plugs and my ticking noise is still there. I did a compression test and got 150 psi on all the cylinders. im not sure but it could be sticky valves or rod or crank bearing.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was wondering if you ever found out the problem I been chasing down a noise like this for a few months. I changed pretty well everything timing chain kit manifold gaskets lifters and rockers and tested coils and injectors and replaced spark plugs and my ticking noise is still there. I did a compression test and got 150 psi on all the cylinders. im not sure but it could be sticky valves or rod or crank bearing.

If its a rusty $hi7 box like mine there could just be a hole in the exhaust pipe up front somewhere. Further back it will make a rumble but up front it may make a ticking sound as well.