2008 1500 double din hu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

Just got my first Ram and new to the forum. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2008, 1500 quad cab stx Ram and want to upgrade the audio, etc.
What I'm looking to do is replace the current single din radio with a 2 din in-dash gps, dvd, blue tooth, etc. head unit. I'm trying to stay at $500 for the whole job. I know the 2 din bezel will cost me around $200 on ebay so I have about $300 to spend on the head unit. I will go a little higher if a nice hu is within reach. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket hu?

Thanks

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
:welcome: Ok before you go replacing the radio you need the bezel first. As you have found out they are not cheap. Next you will need a wire harness adaptor (due to the stupid can-bus system). Pac audio will carry those. This page: Pac-Audio.com Product Search | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future has every kit for your year truck. Make sure you get the correct one.

Then you can start looking at the radios. Your budget is a bit low and I suggest that you save a bit more for what you want. Cheap is the not the way to go when dealing with electronics. Waiting until you can get a better radio is the best way to go.

OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, thanks for the links. I appreciate the help. It would be so much easier to be able to afford the oem radio with all of the bells and whistles.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, thanks for the links. I appreciate the help. It would be so much easier to be able to afford the oem radio with all of the bells and whistles.

If you want an oem radio check out E-Bay, a few junk yards, the dealership, Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com , Mopar OEM Dodge Ram REC 6-DISC CD / MP3 Radio With Navigation - AutoTruckToys.com , or a few other places that may have one. Be warned though the ones with all the bells and whistles are EXPENSIVE.

OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's why I was going to go the aftermarket route, too expensive for an oem. By the time all is said and done it might cost just as much for all of the aftermarket stuff as for the oem set up.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's why I was going to go the aftermarket route, too expensive for an oem. By the time all is said and done it might cost just as much for all of the aftermarket stuff as for the oem set up.

Unfortunately that is the truth. That is why I suggested you go to a junk yard or try E-Bay first for the head unit. Be wary of both though and make sure to get the correct one first.

OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What would the right one be? I'm kind of new to this.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What would the right one be? I'm kind of new to this.

Look at t ones inked from Auto Truck Toys, write their information down, then compare that info to any that you may find. Most junk yards can do the cross referencing for you but not all are equipped to do that. E-Bay can be a crap shoot though. Sometimes they have the correct information and sometimes they do not. Big thing to remember though is there were 2 different connectors used in the 06 to 08 trucks for the stereo's. Only way to tell which one you have is to remove the current stereo and count the number of pins in the connector that goes into the back of the stereo. It will be either a 20 pin connector or a 24 pin connector. Be sure that whatever stereo you get has the same connector that your truck has.

OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The person who owned the truck originally did not get a factory radio. He put in a single din, no frills radio. I took it out earlier today to try and figure out what harness or adapters I might need. The harness that came with the truck has one large connector (didn't think to count the pins) and one small connector. Seems that this truck was not prepared for a high-end unit. Will this be a problem or can I still make it work with a nice aftermarket unit.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok if the factory harness has the small and large connectors you may be set for a navigation radio. The large connector is the one you need to count the pins on. The small one should have 6 pins on it if I am not mistaken, and should be either for steering wheel controls or a gps setup. Does the truck have steering wheel controls already?? If it does then the small connector is for that. You may be set with an aftermarket stereo and may only have to purchase the correct pac interface unit.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was looking trough Crutchfield and found the ones in this link: Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras

Look over those. You do not state whether you have the 4 speaker system or the 7 speaker system and that will make a difference on what stereo you will ultimately be able to install without modifications.

OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a 4 speaker system, one on each door.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No it doesn't have any steering wheel controls but this does sound encouraging. Thanks very much for your help, I'm certain I would have bought some wrong parts along the way. Would you mind if I contact you with a few more questions if need be? Also, would you check out this link and let me know what you think? Thanks.

Dodge RAM Pickup Truck in Dash DVD GPS Navigation Radio Stereo Bluetooth MP3 USB | eBay

OOOO That looks very nice for the price. As long as the seller will warrantee the unit I would be willing to go for it. Ask them if they will warrantee it and about their return policy before taking the dive.

OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took the radio out again. The large plug has 22 pins and the smaller plug has 10 pins.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took the radio out again. The large plug has 22 pins and the smaller plug has 10 pins.

Hmm I might have been off on the large pin count. But like I said I was not so sure on how many the small one had (my truck only ahs the large plug). Just make sure that you get the correct matching plug for the large one, I believe that the small one should be standard.

TXbigboy92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Any updates? Just wanted to jump in and put my.02 cents in.
I ask you, why not save $200 and diy, install whatever 2 din you want but cut the bezel from your original head unit out. I did this to mine. Simple and free.
Just buy a dremel if you don't have one. And you even keep the cubby below the head unit.
It took me about a days worth of work to get it to fit perfect and look good. The half circles on the side you just use a vinyl/dash filter. Sand it and spray paint with color match. Or go a complete different interior color.

Anyways. Just wanted to put my advice. That way you have $200 to upgrade door speakers etc.(:)

Cheers

OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input. That's a pretty good suggestion. It wouldn't hurt to at least try if I'm going to replace it anyway. Where do you get vinyl/dash filler?

Thanks

OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never mind, found it on Amazon. Does it get hard enough? Seems it may stay a little flexible.