2008 5.7 hemi modest truck build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
I just bought a 08 5.7 100100 miles on it I’m already looking to get the full ams mds delete kit with the Melling high volume oil pump and some jba shorty headers down the line and true dual it to some subtle throaty mufflers haven’t gotten that far yet but what else would help compliment all this that I’m not thinking of? Also is the 6.4 cam just plug and play with all the other stock hardware just wondering. Also some thing too watch out for when I’m doing this it’ll be the first time I’ve gone this deep into an engine

OP
OP
F

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
I just bought a 08 5.7 100100 miles on it I’m already looking to get the full ams mds delete kit with the Melling high volume oil pump and some jba shorty headers down the line and true dual it to some subtle throaty mufflers haven’t gotten that far yet but what else would help compliment all this that I’m not thinking of? Also is the 6.4 cam just plug and play with all the other stock hardware and where should I look for a tuner aside from the Diablo if the 6.4 cam does work out. What should I watch out for when I’m doing this it’ll be the first time I’ve gone this deep into an engine

cammed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram rt
Engine
cammed 5.7
I just bought a 08 5.7 100100 miles on it I’m already looking to get the full ams mds delete kit with the Melling high volume oil pump and some jba shorty headers down the line and true dual it to some subtle throaty mufflers haven’t gotten that far yet but what else would help compliment all this that I’m not thinking of? Also is the 6.4 cam just plug and play with all the other stock hardware just wondering. Also some thing too watch out for when I’m doing this it’ll be the first time I’ve gone this deep into an engine
I would skip the shorty headers and go with long tube headers
No matter what cam you go with I would install new
Mopar 392 lifters/hell cat lifters and springs

OP
OP
F

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
Mopar 392 lifters/hell cat lifters and spring
What long tube headers would you recommend? That are good for the price and aren’t to bad of a fit if that’s a problem with any of them.

OP
OP
F

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
Mopar 392 lifters/hell cat lifters and springs
Also will the 392 lifters and springs work on the pre vvt models I mean from I’ve seen the lifters do seem pretty much plug and play I’m just making sure I get it all right

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No they will not. VVT and non-VVT cams are not physically interchangeable.

OP
OP
F

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
that’s what I figured after the mds delete kit with the stage 1 cam. I plan on getting some L.T.Hdrs with that kit but where do I look for a tune and also the trans Idk what to do with that. I can’t find much on 03-08 5.7 ram builds. Also if I cut out the cats how do I keep the o2 sensors from triggering a check engin light.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Requires a custom tune to turn the rear O2's off, which you will have to do yourself because after the last couple years EPA crackdowns on tuners you will not likely find a tuner who is willing to disable an emissions device or tune your truck without cats.