2008 5.7 P0300 and P0399

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevewhitts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was accelerating to get on the highway when the truck stumbled hard. Felt like the trans missed a shift. Check Engine Light came on solid. Drove gently and things seemed OK, but then it stumbled again and the CEL started flashing. Made it home OK, and on the way the CEL light went to solid and then back to flashing and them went solid and stayed that way. It seems to run OK but go the scanner out and I had P0300 (random misfire) and 2 P0339s (crankshaft position sensor intermittent). Truck has about 96,000. Replaced plug 2 months ago. The only other issue I have had lately is a P0456 (small evap leak) a couple of times. After clearing that code the last time, I replaced gas cap and problem seems to have gone away.

Not sure which came first, the misfire or the position sensor, but I assume it would be the misfire that I should look for first. I would assume that a misfire could cause the P0339.