2009 1500 t-case issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeNaive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 09 1500 5.7 and here recently I was on a 4 hour trip and the transfer case cracked from the bottom to the top and the output shaft, so went ahead replaced it and was driving back on the highway and it happened again, any idea what the cause could be?? Or where to being to look? Truck does have air bags in rear but they’ve been on the truck drive first owner and never caused issues.

Attachments

• IMG_8764.jpeg
    IMG_8764.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 15

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is this truck stock? Or lifted (if so, how much?) ..with big tires?

Vibrations - Yeah, start with vibrations as noted above. Tires ..get them checked on a Road Foce Balancer (by Hunter). Other balancers could balance a square wheel... but the RF should catch any tire problems. Stand there and make sure the tire guys are doing the right job, not just a quickie. Check U-joints. Did you ever notice if there was 'slop' or excessive 'play' at the driveshaft output at the xfer case? Someone should roll the wheel while it's on a hoist and check for a bent axle & worn axle bearings. And check the pinion for looseness.

Driveshaft - Have you replaced or done work on your driveshaft? I'm wondering if there could be a 'length' problem.

Engine Mounts?? - Quadruple-check the engine and tranny mount. Just to be sure. Put the tk in D and with foot on brake give it some throttle. Watch the engine through the open hood. Put in R and try the same. Look for the engine lifting.

If you have a driveline shop near you ...they'd be a good place to take it if you prefer to have a shop look at it. I agree, that is weird ...let us know what you find.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Too much play somewhere down there, likely in front of it. Could it be behind it as well? Maybe, which could bring air bags possibly, who am I to say not. But I'd try again before even going in this direction.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's like not leaking at all? Maybe epoxy over it or if you know someone who can weld alum see if there is something they can do, park over a piece cardboard preferably white, and see if it leaks at all. Just thinking outloud.

OP
OP
B

BeNaive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this truck stock? Or lifted (if so, how much?) ..with big tires?

Vibrations - Yeah, start with vibrations as noted above. Tires ..get them checked on a Road Foce Balancer (by Hunter). Other balancers could balance a square wheel... but the RF should catch any tire problems. Stand there and make sure the tire guys are doing the right job, not just a quickie. Check U-joints. Did you ever notice if there was 'slop' or excessive 'play' at the driveshaft output at the xfer case? Someone should roll the wheel while it's on a hoist and check for a bent axle & worn axle bearings. And check the pinion for looseness.

Driveshaft - Have you replaced or done work on your driveshaft? I'm wondering if there could be a 'length' problem.

Engine Mounts?? - Quadruple-check the engine and tranny mount. Just to be sure. Put the tk in D and with foot on brake give it some throttle. Watch the engine through the open hood. Put in R and try the same. Look for the engine lifting.

If you have a driveline shop near you ...they'd be a good place to take it if you prefer to have a shop look at it. I agree, that is weird ...let us know what you find.

Stock other than the fact it’s had a leveling kit since I’ve purchased it ( little over Year ago) and then the air bags for rear end which have been on there since purchased back in 2010 (from what I was told) has never really caused any issues till just recently, happened both times when at a higher speed, 80+. Haven’t had any work done to the driveshaft since I’ve owned it, waiting on mechanic to get the new T-Case in and going to send him the ideas you listed to see if we can’t get it figured out.. I appreciate it, and will definitely update soon as I find it out.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, when you have the T-case off, check the splines, coupler and transmission output "play" on the transmission side. I would push IN/OUT HARD with my hands on the tranny shaft to see if there's excess movement. Could be a thrust washer in the tranny failed...as unlikely as it seems (otherwise you'd probably notice some tranny issues). If the coupler to the transmission is sloppy, I'd replace it. Ensure the output bushing on the new T-case is good. The driveshaft should sit in there fairly snug. I would check the driveshaft for being bent. You never know. A buddy of mine used to own a junk yard and sometimes he'd lift someone's car/truck up and move it if they parked in the wrong spot. But it sometimes bent the driveshaft a little. So he had to stop. The owners never new. And of course, check the pinion, etc. There was an issue on these Rams way back when, some sad owners, ...the Pinion nut working loose. I'd probably pop off the cracked rear cone on the old xfer and do an autopsy. I bet you see the problem. I bet if a guy cleaned and JB-Weld..the entire joint...I'd love to see how long it would last. That would be the ultimate test. I bet it would surprise people.

I would be inclined to check the play on the xfer case rear driveshaft output bushing ....and probably order a new one & change it, unless it's nice and snug. There's a nifty Spent-More ..I mean, Kent-Moore tool the dealer should have which makes replacing the xfer output bushing (and a tranny bushing) a 5 min piece-of-cake job. *Looks* like below. That would tighten the driveshaft up. If you walked through the back overhead doors, just walk in, around closing time ...with the xfer case in your hands, wearing your dirty duds, bushing in hand (buy it from the dealer so you can say you got it there) ...a mechanic might just change it right there on the spot. Give him $20. I mean, we're talking a small family-run dealer here, ...not a big one. Our dealer has lent me the tool before, if I bought the bushing from them. Wrap 2 coils of masking tape around it though...the sharp machined edges can actually mar the new bushing.

dt-48734.jpg

Oh...and stop doing reverse-to-low's! LOL :driver: (just kidding)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BeNaive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So finally was able to get another case delivered (after they sent 3 wrong ones) after putting it back in the mechanic said he had it on jack stands and noticed when he put it in gear that it was moving the transfercase and half ass binding up, came down to it being a bad u joint he said, replaced it and I’ll be picking it up tomorrow so hopefully that’s what it was!!