2009 Ram 1500 5.7L no brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landon Taraschuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there. Im not sure what to do next.

I just bought a 09 ram, the guy said he just replaced the break pads and 1 caliper and now they had extremely soft brakes, like you have to pump them 4 times to get some sort of pressure built. He said they were totally fine before.

I bleed them 4 times now, no air bubbles and clear new fluid comming thru all 4 calipers. I replaced the master cylinder after talking to a mechanic over the phone, re bleed and no change. Then Had a mechanic come and pump the abs module with a computer, that didnt do anything. We determined the front brake calipers were the problem.

So today i replaced both front calipers, re bleed all 4, and guess what, no brakes still.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you flush with brake pedal? This will let you know you have hydraulic pressure with pedal. kinda simple, if you press brake pedal and fluid comes out, there is no issue from that point to fluid reservoir.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The question would be did you loosen bleeder bolt when you have the issue and no fluid comes out? Of course you need the end of the bleeder hose to be sitting in brake fluid as well.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you ever run brake fluid dry? If so i believe you need a scan tool to fix that as well, the abs.

OP
OP
L

Landon Taraschuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No break fluid still comes out if you dont apply brakes, its flowing nicely thru the system. No it hasent been bled dry ever.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd attempt an auto bleed of the abs at this point. Especially since some other guy did something when not in your care.

I'm sorry I dont understand last post, when you push pedal brake fluid will always come out front brake bleed bolts? even when soft pedal?

OP
OP
L

Landon Taraschuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a mechanic come and do the abs auto bleed and that didnt work...

Sorry, even when the pedal is not touched fluid flows thru the bleeder nipples fine.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Are the calipers on the right side with the bleeder valves at the top?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I Know the brake proportional valve assy can cause issue to make it look like bad master cyl, caliper, etc.
Not sure but on modern vehicles this might be part of the ABS unit.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Are the calipers on the right side with the bleeder valves at the top?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?
This! I went round and round with my GMC and finally figured out while watching a youtube video, "hey, my bleeder is not on top like that!". I hope publicly shaming myself will teach me a lesson.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This! I went round and round with my GMC and finally figured out while watching a youtube video, "hey, my bleeder is not on top like that!". I hope publicly shaming myself will teach me a lesson.

I “know” a tech who did that once too in his very early days. Never made that mistake again.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had Proportional valves go bad before there is a plunger you should see moving from the outside when you apply brakes, and bench bleed master cyl like tach_tech said.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there. Im not sure what to do next.

I just bought a 09 ram, the guy said he just replaced the break pads and 1 caliper and now they had extremely soft brakes, like you have to pump them 4 times to get some sort of pressure built. He said they were totally fine before.

I bleed them 4 times now, no air bubbles and clear new fluid comming thru all 4 calipers. I replaced the master cylinder after talking to a mechanic over the phone, re bleed and no change. Then Had a mechanic come and pump the abs module with a computer, that didnt do anything. We determined the front brake calipers were the problem.

So today i replaced both front calipers, re bleed all 4, and guess what, no brakes still.

OK, so, I'll bite. There HAS to be something you are overlooking or leaving out. Does this truck have a vacuum power brake booster, or is it hydro-boost? If vacuum it could be the culprit. Also, just because the guy performed an automated bleed with a scanner doesn't insure that there isn't air somewhere else in the system. That function is the last step in a complete bleed of the system.
I wonder about the integrity of the flex hoses.... also which parts place did you purchase the parts. Go back an disassemble everything and look for a bonehead workmanship issue, too.

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? As a last possibility, did you put the calipers on the wrong side (upside down) and have the bleeders at the bottom instead of at the top?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OK, so, I'll bite. There HAS to be something you are overlooking or leaving out. Does this truck have a vacuum power brake booster, or is it hydro-boost? If vacuum it could be the culprit. Also, just because the guy performed an automated bleed with a scanner doesn't insure that there isn't air somewhere else in the system. That function is the last step in a complete bleed of the system.
I wonder about the integrity of the flex hoses.... also which parts place did you purchase the parts. Go back an disassemble everything and look for a bonehead workmanship issue, too.

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? As a last possibility, did you put the calipers on the wrong side (upside down) and have the bleeders at the bottom instead of at the top?

You're right on the ball this morning Sherm,he already said he'd figured out his issue last night,and you're just repeating what Tach Tech had already suggested about the calipers being on the wrong side and upside down.There's days i think you just like to think you know more then everybody else,lol. Start reading the prior posts old timer,as you repeat alot of what's already been said