SOFT BRAKE PEDAL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005DRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have replaced every brake part, line and hose in my 2005 Dodge RAM 2500.
And when I say EVERYTHING, I mean it. SST Lines, hoses, calipers, booster, MC, ETC.
Including, replacing the Kelsey-Hayes ABS Pump/Module. (HATE)
I have bled the system 1M times using a vacuum canister and the pedal method.
Cycled the ABS Pump with my Autel MX808 scanner 1M times.
Setup the LF brake up with a submerged clear line in a canister with brake fluid, cycled the brake alone and with the ABS bleed.
No air bubbles at any corner.

Rock hard pedal with engine OFF. Halfway to the floor with engine ON.

Has to be this GOD FORSAKEN Kelsey-Hayes ABS block that has air trapped in it still.

Last option for me is to take the truck out of the shop and lock up the brakes somewhere to get the ABS to fully actuate and hopefully pass this air downstream.
Then bleed it again!

Any sage advice out there?

Thanks!

zrock

Reaction score
i always found if i had troubles getting air out of the system is take it for a drive (if the brakes are working enough to be safe) get everything warmed up and then blead again.. Can you pump the brakes and get a harder pedal?

OP
OP
2005DRAM2500

2005DRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The pedal is perfect with engine off. Once the boost comes on with the engine vacuum, halfway to the floor until brakes work.
Pumping does nothing to make the pedal better once boost is on.

I have seen that this is a common problem on this era of Dodge HD trucks. This Kelsey Hayes 4WALB system SUCKS.

I will try to lock 'em up somewhere and back for more bleeding. At least 6 quarts of brake fluid have been wasted on the constant bleeding.

If no joy after this, maybe try a reverse bleed?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stop spamming the forum with the same copy-pasted post. You're trying to fix your truck, great, doesn't mean you need to annoy the rest of us.

OP
OP
2005DRAM2500

2005DRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That was not my intention. Thanks for being so helpful!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you replaced the master cylinder yet? had a similar issue couldnt get a good pedal was the master cylinder in the end

OP
OP
2005DRAM2500

2005DRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have you replaced the master cylinder yet? had a similar issue couldnt get a good pedal was the master cylinder in the end
Thanks for the question. Yes, I put a Raybestos new MC in. I may do the plugging off the MC ports test to see if it holds tight. But here's the thing: the pedal is rock hard with engine off. No fade, just perfect. Fire up the engine, pedal goes half way to floor. It's a damn nutty problem.
I was not able to get outside today to lock up the brakes on a dirt road Etc.
I will report back tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2005DRAM2500

2005DRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Finished the complete brake system overhaul. Finally had a a helper today and started at the MC and pedal bled it. Got good smooth streams of fluid to come out multiple times. So that was eliminated. Then did the same at the ABS. Helper ran ABS Bleed on the scanner while I cracked open 1of 3 brake lines at a time. Rear, RF, LF. The rear did have a bit of air come out. Got them all to stream out. Then did the ABS bleed at each wheel. RR, LR, RF LF. Followed with a standard pedal bleed at each wheel.
There is no air in this system. Pedal was still not great. So took my Jon boat out of the bed and went to an abandoned road near my shop. Floored it and got up as fast as I dared and stomped on the brake pedal HARD! ABS engages and truck stops fine. Did this 7-8 times. Pedal feel did improve some. Went back to shop and bled it again. No air came out at any wheel. So it's as good as it's gonna get baby!

The truck stops fine. But to me, with all the full tilt brake jobs I have done: I am not thrilled with the outcome. I need to use the truck for some long haul deliveries coming up in November.
We will see how the pedal improves and maybe when the pads bed in more it will improve. I know I am not the first to live with this lousy pedal feel on these 2005 era Dodge Ram HD trucks.

It's that Kelsey Hayes garbage on there for sure.

DarthHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im getting ready to replace most of the brake system. I just wanted to follow-up here to see how your situation ended. Any new information or solutions? Thanks!