2010 Dodge Ram Seized Need to Swap Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenverCORamOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,

My engine seized on my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Oil Sensor had gone off, swapped the sensor at the parts store thinking that was the issue. Needless to say the truck stalled one mile before getting home. My guess is the oil pump went out, then after my inadequate response, the engine seized. I tried turning the main crankshaft pully with the 22m and breaker bar. Does not move at all.

Cost. Ideally, I would love to have the $3600 to get a refurbished crate engine. At this point I only have 2k and need to find other way to do this.

I've been looking for replacement engines from a salvage car or even a junk yard:

1. I have read on some forums that the 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi 5.7 might be compatible with a Dodge Ram 1500,2500,3500 as far up as a 2019? But I have read a lot about MDS and other things to look out for.
  2. What other cars might have a compatible engine, I had previously replaced a head on this engine from a dodge charger with a hemi. Might I be able to get a HEMI from a DURANGO or other vehicle?
  3. Any other advice you can provide that can be helpful.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If i recall correctly, 2500 & 3500 Rams 5.7L, did not have MDS before 2018

When & IF you decide to do an engine swap

set both the current engine & the replacement engine side by side

switch over any sensors that look different onto the replacement engine,
unless the sensors are for the MDS & the replacement engine is not MDS

The intakes may or may not be different

one or two sensors may also control the MDS

don't throw away any parts of any kind, until the new engine is running as it should

Read up on the different sensors

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can use a hemi 2009 4th gen-2012 or 2013+ however you will have to swap the tone ring on the crank and timing cover its a pain in the ass just did one you have to remove the crank to swap tone ring from old engine.