2010 Ram 1500 and AlphaOBD - quad beam conversion questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my87csx481

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi. I have a 2010 1500 4.7 SLT without quad beam headlights. I want to convert to quad beams.

I found the 2013-2018 AlphaOBD thread, and several bits about people doing this conversion to 2013 and up trucks.

I also found a post that mentions there is a 2009-2012 AlphaOBD thread....but I can't find that anywhere. Anyone have a link? Or a character string I can search to find it myself?

Anyone know for sure if AlphaOBD will work with my 2010, to set the body control module to have both the low beams on when the highs are on?

Just want to be sure before spending all the $$$$ for the OBDII device, and the software, and the headlight housings, and the bulbs.

Thanks for any input.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The plug is the same for quads or duals, it's inside the housing where it splits the hi/lo signal.
I went from quads to duals on my 2010 without Alfa. No issues.

OP
OP
my87csx481

my87csx481

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pretty sure, if you go from dual to quad, you need AlphaOBD (or have the dealer update the sales code, or some other aftermarket OBD tool) to have your low beam bulbs stay lit when you turn on the high beam bulbs.

You went from quad to dual....do your low beam filaments stay lit when you turn on your high beam filaments?

In a quad setup, I'm pretty sure, if you don't flash the BCM, the lows will turn off when you turn on the highs....if it started life as a dual beam.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Lows & highs both on with either the duals or quads. Actually I've switched the whole truck over to LEDs front to back and never had issues or used AlfaOBD.

The truck isn't configured for duals or quads, the headlights are. From the interior to the connector plugs it's the same wiring/function. The internal wiring in the headlights splits the signal according to what the configuration is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
my87csx481

my87csx481

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I understand that the headlight module splits the harness to the individual bulbs, and that both dual and quad modules plug into the same main harness on the truck....with the same plug.

My dual beam truck turns off the filaments for the low beam when the high beams are clicked on. This is how it is supposed to work (if it is not a quad beam optioned truck).

A quad beam truck is NOT supposed to turn off the lows when the highs are turned on....at least that is my understanding....and you have confirmed that both your filaments/bulbs are on when the highs are on.

If I plug the quad beam modules into my dual beam truck, and turn on the high beams, the low beam bulbs will turn off.

I want both the lows and highs to be on when turn on the highs. People have done this with some harness and relays. And people have done this by flashing the BCM using AlphaOBD. My preference is to flash the BCM.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think @1500ram12 has helped out with changing from duals to quads.
There is definitely a setting in the + '13 truck for Quad headlight operation, not sure about the '09-'12 trucks

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I think @1500ram12 has helped out with changing from duals to quads.
There is definitely a setting in the + '13 truck for Quad headlight operation, not sure about the '09-'12 trucks

I believe there is a setting for pre 13 truck's to change to quads since it was a factory option

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes...there is. It's under the Car Configuration Change menu of the body computer. I believe it's the "Reconfigurable Parameters: Quad Headlights Enable"

Here's the thread for us early 4th GEN owners. Others on here posted going from duals to quads without issue.

AlfaOBD Support For 06~12 Rams | Page 8 | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Worst case...just contact Alexey at AlfaOBD.com. He's very responsive to tech questions.

OP
OP
my87csx481

my87csx481

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did send an email to info at alphaobd several days ago....asking for confirmation....still no response....which is why I started this thread.

Thanks very much to all for the help and info.

It will probably be a month or more before I get around to the conversion, but I'll report back in this thread at some point.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
MAJ_Charlie is 100% correct, it does work, it is a configurable option in AlfaOBD.

On the dual headlights, power is not sent to the low beam wires when the high beams are
on, only one filament is lit at a time on the dual bulb. Setting it to Quad fixes that.

OP
OP
my87csx481

my87csx481

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The conversion was a success. They should have never sold these trucks without quad beams.

Thanks all that helped.