2011 ram transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dradon.day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2011 ram Laramie 1500 with 5.7. Took my truck to a buddy who was offering “free module updating” to train his technicians with new computer tools. Dropped the truck off and they updated all the modules, picked it up and it seemed to be running a little healthier but when driving around 60-75km and needing to accelerate the truck does a sever downshift and a hard jerk, took it back immediately and they plugged the scanners and re flashed everything again and told me to come back in the morning. Took the truck for a drive to see if it needed to relearn itself and the trans hit temps of 104C at Hwy speeds. Went back this morning and they flashed the truck again and come up with the decision that the truck just needs to relearn itself. Drove around town for a few hours being gentle on it and it still continues to jerk and downshift but transmission temps are around 75C-89C. Fluid doesn’t smell burnt, there’s no fillings, fluids proper level.

OP
OP
D

dradon.day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I couldn't post the video on the page so I uploaded it to youtube, if you don't mind taking a look at the video itd be much appreciated.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I haven't heard of a relearn causing a rough shift.

OP
OP
D

dradon.day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my thoughts exactly. I forgot to include that I also have a shift delay from park to drive, roughly 5 seconds before it engages, when I brought that to their attention I was told that the flashing wouldn't affect the truck mechanically because all they did was flash the modules.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's an electronically controlled transmission, how could it not make a difference?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Flash = reprogramming. Sounds like the updates weren't meant for your truck.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 2012 6-spd had developed similar bad shifts after 8 months of daily 2-3 hours stop and go driving. I tried the battery disconnect and relearn but the hard down shifts when slowing, and reluctant down shifts when accelerating continued.

In exasperation I had dealership do a full 14 quart fluid change at about 70K miles. Fluid was in good shape, but I was really fearful the tranny was toast.

After complete fluid change, it drives like a new transmission.

Maybe not what's going on with you, but even an electronically controlled transmission is dependent on hydraulics.

OP
OP
D

dradon.day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took it back to the shop to have a service done, new filters and oil, hopefully this helps my issue. It’s been about 2.5 years since a service has been done.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My 2011 gives the hard upshift when cold when fluid need to change.

It's been about 35k since my last change and it's due.

I'm at 116k. Trans has been changed 3 times, soon to be four

OP
OP
D

dradon.day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the truck back, they changed filters, talked with technician about why it’s jerking so hard, figured out it’s only jerking from 5th gear to 4th. He told me it has something do with the clutch’s and clutch packs not disengaging and that’s why I have such a hard smack, he then told me that since the module was updated that it’ll want to perform with newer clutches and act as if there was a new transmission in the truck. I think that’s bs, the truck never had any transmission issues prior to updating everything.