2012 130S/RES to 430N/RHB upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra Havok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All,

I keep getting conflicting answers from several dealerships about swapping out the RES that is in my Big Horn, to the RHB that is touchscreen and rear camera compatible. Has anyone had any issues with having these swapped out? The answers I receive from different dealerships are contradictory. "Should be no problem", "You can but we can't guarantee it will be successful", "no, they are not compatible". Some have commented that the Uconnect could be a issue, which I don't understand as the RES has all the Uconnect functions the RHB has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Switching from an RES radio to a 430N RHB is basically plug and play. I upgraded from an RES to RBZ and had no issues.

Now the thing to be aware of with these radios is that some have a high speed canbus and some have a low speed canbus. Our Ram's, 2009 to 2012 use the high speed canbus and the low speed canbus radios will not work in this system. So make sure you have the right radio.

The other thing is with the Nav radio is that you will have to get the GPS antennae.

If I remember correctly some of the RES radios had the UConnect built in. The radio you are talking about will most likely need the UConnect module which is extra and not included with the RHB.

As far as the camera is concerned you will need to go to Chrysler and have them flash and turn on the system so your camera will work, takes them less than half hour. You could also go the Lockpick route. This is an add on unit which will let you add the camera with out going to Chrysler. The Lockpick will also let you do many things that your system ordinarily wouldn't be able to do, like add a front camera.

If you are not really in need of Navigation I would recommend getting a high speed canbus RBZ radio and if you do want Nav getting a separate dash mount unit for that, much cheaper in the long run.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ramzaq has good advice.
Simple answer is yes, the radio will work.

I can add a few things as I went through exactly what you are attempting with our 2012 LoneStar Edition (Texas verson of the Big Horn). - I am guessing they are equipped similarly. I also wanted the touchscreen radio and backup camera.

NOTE: It is possible to install a back-up camera in a truck with a 130S unit, the monitor would be in the rearview mirror. I did not know this when I started my swap.

*What I have not been able to confirm is how to tell if the mirror in my truck already has the monitor built-in.
The rear-view mirror on my truck is fairly large and is auto-dimming.

If you have the 130S radio, then you should already have UConnect.
If you have not been there, you can double check your radio on this page:
Uconnect | Support | System Identification
-or- If your radio has a phone and a VR button, and you are able to use your phone through your stereo system, then you already have the UConnect module installed.
You may also have the voice command and phone buttons on your steering wheel.
I also believe if you have a USB port in your upper glovebox, that is also part of the UConnect system.

As stated above the UConnect module is separate from the radio itself.
If you already have it in your truck (I did), that is good.

Radio selection:
You want the 430N which is fine, so did I.
I did a lot of reading and the navigation is by Garmin (which is good).

The bad news is, the radios are pretty expensive (even used) and to do any Garmin map updates you have to go through the dealer and they cost like $200.00 ea.
Plus, unless you buy and install a lockpick unit, you (or a passenger) cannot change directions while the truck is in drive.

I have been read (but unable to confirm) that our 2012 trucks have the NAV antenna built in with the Sirius/XM antenna.

I decided to go with the 430 RBZ which is the same touchscreen radio without the NAV.
We just just picked up a brand new Garmin with lifetime map updates for less than the Dealer update.
I figure technology keeps changing, this new Garmin has features our old (couple of years old) one did not have.

Where are you planning to buy your radio?
Are you buying from the dealer (expensive), craigslist, e-Bay, etc.?

If buying used, this is where it gets a little tricky. Not all radios are created equal.

I bought my 430 RBZ on e-Bay.
As mentioned above, you need to look for a HIGH speed bus unit.
I bought an older RBZ unit which is a non anti-theft unit. (My 130S was anti-theft)
I think in 2012 all radios became anti-theft.

The good news:
The unit did not require a security code to be entered when plugged in for it to work and it was a simply plug 'n Play swap.
The radio, Uconnect and all the controls (including steering wheel) worked immediately.

The bad news:
The radio I bought was manufactured in 2009, the part number begins with the numbers 506xxxx.
My unit displays the Chrysler UConnect logo on start-up. (Like for 5 secs, so I have learned to live with it)
The latest radio update that can be installed on this radio is v.10.00.11
The unit I bought was made in 2009.

If I was doing this again, I would look for a unit that starts with 509xxxx and I would look for an anti-theft unit. (Just to make sure I got a newer radio)
*NOTE: If buying anti-theft, make sure they will supply you with the code, the radio will ask for this the first time you turn it on.

My older radio Chrysler logo refuses to change even after I had the dealer flash my truck with the RBZ sales code.
I read flashing would cause it to change. It did not. :(

The Back-up camera:
The back-up camera is great, I wanted it after I read how easy it makes hooking up a trailer. I can now hook up the boat trailer by myself with out having to constantly get out of the truck to see where I am in relationship to the hitch.
(Or backing up till it hits the license plate)

I bought an OEM back-up camera kit from a Dodge dealer on e-Bay (about $200.00).

The good news:
Installation was fairly easy, Took me about an hour. The hardest part wast selecting the correct wire on the PCM to splice the camera power wire into. The instructions are not very clear.
(I selected the wire, held my breath, spliced it and the camera worked first try :) )

The bad news:
I got a 2011 camera kit, which means there are no distance lines in my display.
I can correct this by buying a 2012+ camera and swapping it out. (Plug 'n Play)

In order for the camera to work, you have to go to a dealer and have the sales code (XAC) flashed.
I called every dealer I could find within about 100mi and they ALL quoted me 1hr labor charge to flash the code.
(It takes them about 10min, to do the work - but I could not get them to budge on that)
So, it ended up costing me $100. - But I also had them flash the RBZ radio code at the same time. (the Chrysler logo on the radio did not change :( )

TIP:
I had the dealer flash the codes before I actually installed the back-up camera.
Once they do it, when you put the truck in reverse you get a blank screen on the radio, but I knew they had flashed it and when installing the camera, if it did not work, i knew it was my mistake, not theirs. (It worked first try).

Hope this info helps you some.

ETA: Another tip:
If you are doing the back-up camera install yourself and have electric door locks (you probably do)
and if you do not have the auto locking tailgate, while you have the tailgate apart, you can also install the tailgate auto-locking kit.

I always forget to lock my tailgate or unlock it.
Around here, apparently tailgate theft is pretty common.
So, the auto-lock is on my next to-do list.
Would be nice to have the tailgate lock and unlock witht he doors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sierra Havok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Ramzaq, Johnny Dollar for the excellent advice.

I really don't need the Nav, as I have heard about the cost in maintaining those are not feasible (and I already have a Garmin). However, when contacting Mopar/or dealer. They advise based on my VIN, the only radio available for my truck is the RHB which is approx $2200 (Even if I was to buy the RBZ itself from the dealer its approx the same). I would rather go to the ebay/craigslist site for a new RBZ with the theft deterrent, but the parts guy at the dealership says there are no other radios that is being listed for my truck's VIN. I understand, it is probably a dealer scam but, I want to make sure I have a compatible unit which allows the back up camera integration.

Also Johnny D, the parts rep indicated there is no information on the backup camera being integrated into the mirror...If I could do that, I would be just as satisfied, as I am mainly wanting to have a rear camera view for the hitch.

Thanks for the feed back I appreciate it. Any further comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 430 RBZ I bought from eBay was $160.00 I got lucky though, most were between $225 -$350

I installed it in place of the 130 RES that I had. I had already bought, installed, and had the dealer flash the Uconnect module about 8 months earlier. Everything was plug-n-play and works fine.

The only issue is that since I didn't go back to the dealer to have them flash the sales code for the 430 RBZ, the boot-up splash screen displays "Chrysler Uconnect" instead of the RAM logo. I'm fine with that since I don't want to pay the dealer $75-100 bucks just to get the right logo.

Some people have had the logo switch by itself after a few days of start/stop, but mine didn't.

It may also be because there are two different companies that make that radio and the software versions are different.

Just keep in mind that if a used radio came from 2012 or up, I think you need the unlock security code. Prior to that, there wasn't any security codes that I'm aware of.

Ray

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I thought I read about the rearview monitor somewhere, perhaps i am mistaken.

However,

All I can tell you is that I bought a 430/RBZ radio from an e-Bay dealer.
It was a simple plug 'n Play install.
It is from a wrecked vehicle, but it did not have a scratch on it.
Removing the radio bezel was the hardest part (extra steps because of the center console)
Mine was older (2009) and did not require any security code - I wish I had realized that the newer units had additional software upgrades and the logo would change.

A lot of the e-Bay dealers will verify that the unit will work in your truck and let you return it if it does not. - In fact, I thought about returning my unit when the logo did not change, but honestly, its not that big a deal. You can add any picture you like that will show after boot-up.

The 430 (non-nav) & 430N (nav) are the same radio other than the GPS.
You just have to make sure you get a high speed bus unit.
430/RBZ installed and working:
t5lx.jpg

The radio does not need to be flashed to work, only the parkview system does.
When the parkview was flashed on my truck, it added an additional set-up on my radio screen which allows me to turn the camera on and off.

I had the dealer flash the RBZ code when he activated the camera because I thought it would get the logo to change, but it did not. - seems my radio is just too old.
I figured I was already overpaying for the labor to flash anyways.

I bought the Parkview camera system from a Dodge dealer on e-Bay

MoparOwnerConnect now shows my truck to have the 430 Radio and Parkview camera as dealer installed equipment.
p62l.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sierra Havok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again thanks for the info Dollar Johnny. I contacted Chrysler and spoke to one of their Tech Support about the various issues...as it appears THEIR documentation doesn't identify the RBZ being compatible, yet on the Mopar UConnect Website, it shows the RBZ as one of the Media Centers available for the 2012 Ram. In anycase, they are also checking into the rear camera install and verifying if there is a setup for rear view mirror installation. The tech said he had seen such item, but it wasn't on a Ram.

Looks like I am going with the eBay route as the $ quote from Mopar was still over 2k. Do you know which seller on eBay you purchased it from? There are several on eBay OEMautoparts.com is one.. and I am specifically looking for a 509 series....

One more thing...you indicated you didn't have the Ram logo on your RBZ, but it looks you do in your photo...it even shows the Hemi Ram Logo....???

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can upload pictures and it will display in the right side area of the radio. It is when the system boots up that the flash is suppose to change the picture but doesn't for some people for some reason.

My Ram is an '09 and I installed an RBZ from a 2011 Dodge so when mine boots up I get the Dodge racing bars and it says Uconnect.

Thought I would add some info on the radios.

Some other info I just remembered, the older versions of the radios have the "phone" and "voice" buttons on the right side of the radio. The newer radios have these buttons on the left side.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/quality/rbz/

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As Ramzaq states, you can add custom photos that display once the radio is on.

My initial boot-up screen looks like this:
ptga.jpg

but it only lasts a few seconds.

The default image is this:
nij3.jpg

but that can be changed to anything you like.
I actually have several images (.jpg) I snagged of the net and put on the HHD.

If I recall, I bought mine from mvcautoparts1, because they had the best deal.
I bought the backup camera kit from autopartsmopar which was a local dealir near Dallas, so I did local pickup.
oemautoparts has the antitheft radios - 509 series, which they also say is tested and loaded with the lastest firmware. and they guarantee it will work in the 2012 RAM 1500.

My owners manual also shows the RBZ radio as an option,
however, the radio will work whether it was an actual option when the truck was built. Several people have installed them, that is why I bought one.

ETA: and if it makes you feel better,
I took my truck in to have it flashed for the camera before I even purchased the kit.
Some dealers did not really want to do it.

First thing the service manager did was come to the lobby to tell me that they could flash it, but wanted me to know that I did not actually have a camera installed.
I explained what I was doing (installing later) and he stated they could not guarantee it would work.
I had them go ahead and flash it, when in reverse the radio displayed a blank screen (no camera)
but as soon as I installed the camera kit, it worked first try.

Last edited:

xpst500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 4X4 QC SB BIG HORN
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice info here but can you provide the correct part numbers to get 2012+ camera kit so I can have the distance lines on the screen? Thanks.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nice info here but can you provide the correct part numbers to get 2012+ camera kit so I can have the distance lines on the screen? Thanks.

The Mopar backup camera kit is: Mopar OEM 82211184
and it fits RAM 2009-12.

The distance lines are a bit of a problem.
The lines are in the camera and chrysler did not retrofit the kits or stop using older cameras they had onhand when putting out the kits.
They also did not change the kit part number to reflect which camera is in a kit, so it is hit or miss - unless you can find a seller that will open the kits and give you the part number of the camera which is installed on the tailgate handle.

I don't know for sure, but I think the first camera with the distance lines was mopar part#56054164AB - or at least that is one of the early ones with lines. They are static lines.
So you want a camera with a p/n after that.

There are newer versions that have lines that will curve as you turn the steering wheel.

I have read a lot of discussions about the cameras and apparently they made several camera revisions from late 2011 going forward.

I have read some threads where people simply swapped out their cameras for one with the grid and they worked fine.
I would not mind having the distance lines, but everyplace I have found a camera with the grid, it costs as much as I paid for the entire kit.
- Guess I don't want them THAT much. :)

Between the side mirrors, rearview mirror and camera, I have no problems backing up.
Hitching my boat trailer is super easy, even without the distance grid lines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sierra Havok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the assistance fellows (Ramzaq, Johhny Dollar and Ocelot). Got the RHZ and installed it myself. Love the new colors. One thing about the Ram Logo upon start up. The Media Center I purchased when I installed it was Chrysler, but after rebooting upon restart, it updated to the Black on Black Ram Logo. The unit had the 50. software already loaded so, I guess its the latest upload that handled that issue.

Now for the back up camera. Any good How to install videos out there for a 2012?

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
<snip>
Now for the back up camera. Any good How to install videos out there for a 2012?
Congrats on the radio install.
I am a little jealous that you got a newer radio than I did, but good work.

I never found any install videos. There are a few people who have threads about the install with photos. (of course I cannot find them now)
I even read the 2013 OEM camera install thread in the DIY forum, it is very similar - except we don't have to build the kit :)

I installed the camera on mine without problems. The instructions with the kit are fairly easy to follow.
Basically, replace tailgate handle with camera handle, run wiring harness to cab, couple of wires plug into the back of the radio, couple of wires run to the engine compartment, one into the TIPM.

I am not that bright, but the hardest parts for me were:

1. Once the tailgate camera is installed, the instructions simply state to run the wiring harness up to the front.
It does not tell you how/where to do it, so you have to decide how you want to run the harness.
It is not difficult, the harness is plenty long and the kit supplies more than enough zip ties to attach the harness. Make sure you use plenty or ties, you don't want a saggy cable.

2. Locating the correct plug to pull from the TIPM.
The instructions say to pull the TIPM off (easy) flip it over and disconnect connector C5, letter E labeled on the bottom.
I never found any labels on the connectors (old eyesight maybe?)
Luckily, the instructions indicate that you are looking for a brown connector and on my TIPM there is only one brown connector.

The last page of the instructions explains how the dealer is to flash everything to make the camera operational. This is helpful if you run into that - Well, "it may not work" or "can't, it didn't come from the factory" attitude.

I suggest that you call around to a few dealers to explain what you need done (flashing) and price it.
I found a couple of service managers that really didn't seem to want to do the job. I ended up taking my truck to the service manager that seemed the most interested and helpful on the phone.

Most dealers charge around 1hr labor (~$100.)
It is about a 15min job, so try to get the best deal you can.
The flashing consists of two parts.
1. They flash the truck to let it know there is a camera. This also adds an option on your radio setup menu that allows you to enable/disable the backup camera.

2. They send the info to Chrysler and it updates your truck profile.
(I believe this also activates a 2yr waranty)
If you have an account on moparownerconnect.com, you will see that the camera has been added as a dealer installed option.
Like this:
p62l.jpg

If you notice, I also had them add the RBZ radio code when they flashed the XAC (backup camera) code. I was hoping that would change my radio bootup logo to RAM, but no dice. :(
I figured I was paying for flashing, might as well do both.

I read a suggestion in one thread to have the dealer flash the truck before you install the kit. I did this.
The advantage to this is, if they flash it after you install it and the camera does not work, it could be your install or it could be they did not flash the truck correctly.
However, after they flashed my truck, when I put it in reverse, the radio went blank with a "Check All Surroundings" warning.
So I knew the truck was working, so when I installed the camera kit (next day), if it did not work, I knew that I had done something wrong.

As an aside, I was working out of town when I did this install, and installed the kit in a hotel parking lot with minimal tools.

Last edited:

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been wondering if I could add a camera to my RBZ and knew, if I screwed around here enough, I'd find the answer.
I've already done the tailgate lock install, so running the wiring won't be a hassle, for me, but where does the wiring pass through the body and into the cab? Is it the same as the 2013/2014, so I can just go by the pics on that post?

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone found a seller that has the newer camera kits?
I've emailed several who either didn't have the newer ones or said they had no way of knowing which camera the kits had. I guess opening a box and looking is beyond the scope of their technical abilities.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Has anyone found a seller that has the newer camera kits?
I've emailed several who either didn't have the newer ones or said they had no way of knowing which camera the kits had. I guess opening a box and looking is beyond the scope of their technical abilities.

Honestly, I think it's just hit or miss.

Unless you can get someone to open it and look at the part number of the camera.
The kits themselves all have the same part number, nothing to indicate which camera is installed.

As mentioned, I bought mine from a Dodge dealer, and it had an older camera in it. :(

The only other idea might be to see if there is a date stamped on the kit somewhere.
However, as I recall, my box had a late 2011 date stamp and still had an older camera. Which leads me to believe that Dodge installed the newer cameras into the 2012 trucks, and moved the leftover older cameras to be packed in the kits.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate the reply. I've emailed several places and no one will open a package to check the part number on the camera.
Hell, I can't get half of them to look at the date on the box.
The only answer I got was from a CDJ dealer selling on Ebay that said "we only have the older style and won't get the newer ones until these sell out"..
Apparently, I'm to wait it out until someone buys them out. Such a pain in the ass.
Looks like the only other alternative is to go to dealer, check the dates myself and pay full price... or do without. lol

Thanks again

davepen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
There's a ton of terrific information in this thread; thanks everyone.

I have just installed a 2011 RBZ in my 2010. I purchased the MOPAR camera kit mentioned earlier from a dealer down south, but I have not installed it or had anything flashed just yet.

I've heard rumors that some trucks already have the wiring for the camera built into the harness? Is this true? Is there any way to check this?

I didn't notice any extra connectors behind the radio when I installed it.

Thanks again all.

xpst500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 4X4 QC SB BIG HORN
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I emailed the Ram support page regarding the grid lines and they mentioned its in the software version and not in the camera itself. Hope this clarifies it for everybody so just update the firmware in your radio Mine is a RER 730N.

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I emailed the Ram support page regarding the grid lines and they mentioned its in the software version and not in the camera itself. Hope this clarifies it for everybody so just update the firmware in your radio Mine is a RER 730N.

Ram support is incorrect the grid lines are built in to the camera. It has already been discussed in many threads in the past.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk