2012 6.7 Cummins not charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rrp14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey so I’m working on a 2012 ram with a 6.7 Cummins. The alternator isn’t putting any power out so I was trying to test and see if it’s dead or if it’s just not getting the signal from the pcm. What I did was disconnect the small 2 wire plug from the alternator with the engine running and connect one end of my voltmeter to the red wire in it and the other end to the battery(-) I didn’t get any voltage, I did the same with the brown wire except I connected the voltmeter to battery(+) no voltage there ether. So I think ether the pcm or the wires from it are the problem does that seem right? If not does anyone know of a better test?
I wanted to do a full field test but wasn’t exactly sure how? if anyone knows how to do that that would be great
Here’s the wiring diagram
397E3B5E-4F3D-4F9E-90BF-DFA485DFAB44.png

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Others might know how with way you are trying. I usually just pull the alternator and take it to local parts store so they can test it.

Jkbsmns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l cummins
Hey did you ever find the issue if it was the pcm? My battery light came on was not charging and than I replaced the alternator and it was charging and fine for about 5 hours of driving than than battery light came on again turned the truck off and back on and started charging again? Trying to test pcm next

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat