2012 Ram 1500 step bar rivnuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darkknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
So I installed the Mopar step bars for my 2012 1500 CC this weekend. Wasn't as easy as I thought it was gonna be but 1 one my rivnuts would not expand in the hole. Any one have an idea why? All of the other rivnuts went in with some effort but this one just spins and pops out. I looked on mopar website and they only sell hardware kit not individual rivnuts. Don't want to shell out $37 for the kit when I only need one. Would It be a problem just missing one? Its missing it on the rear last mounting holes past the rear doors. Any inputs would be great thanks.

GM Enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I installed Mopar steps on my '14 this weekend too. It only took me about 30 minutes and could not have been easier (except maybe if I had a lift, that is). I used an air ratchet and lubricated the rivnut tool with WD40 after each use (the instructions say to use motor oil, but WD40 was more convenient) and they went in like butter.

You will probably be ok with one missing bolt, provided you don't have a 400lb gorilla going to town on it. Or just do an interweb search and see if there's somewhere else you can pick up an M8 Hex Rivnut for cheaper.

OP
OP
D

darkknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Yeah I installed the rivnuts with a M8 1.25 bolt nut and washer. A little harder. But I will look into it more. Couldn't find anything but will search again. Thanks.