2012 ram 2500 wandering on highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueline69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi guys, new to the page so I’m hoping I’m doing this right. I bought a 2012 ram 2500 Cummins. Supposedly it’s stock height with a 2” leveling kit. It’s got 20” rims with 35x12.5x20 nitto tires. I’ve noticed on the highway it wanders, requiring continuous correction. It’s not horrible but it’s scary when you’re between semis and have to constantly make corrections. It’s got fox shocks front and back, a rough country steering stabilizer kit and a diesel performance parts steering stabilizer that attaches to the steering box. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there’s a fix, or if it’s just the cost of having big wheels and tires ? I’m debating downsizing wheels but I love the look of the current setup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Attachments

• 0D90D0E6-5C72-4BA1-B066-8C042CF0C691.png
    0D90D0E6-5C72-4BA1-B066-8C042CF0C691.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 10

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
First things first. Jack the front end up and check for worn steering and suspension components. If you dont know how to do that, find a friend who does or a shop you really trust. Confirm all of that, then go from there

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^ Like GsRam mentioned, going to have to get the front end off the ground and look for any loose or worn components. Not sure how many miles you have on that truck but the Track bar is a common one, ball joints, hub bearings etc. Wide off set wheels won't help either but doesn't look like yours stick out too bad? Hard to tell from the small photo though.
Also make sure the truck is aligned to the "Thruen specs". You can google that or I'll find the link when I get the chance.

Just for reference, I run 35's a 2.5" level and my truck still has all it's original stock steering components and it drives great with 100K miles on it now. Most likely you have something worn or loose?

OP
OP
B

Blueline69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^ Like GsRam mentioned, going to have to get the front end off the ground and look for any loose or worn components. Not sure how many miles you have on that truck but the Track bar is a common one, ball joints, hub bearings etc. Wide off set wheels won't help either but doesn't look like yours stick out too bad? Hard to tell from the small photo though.
Also make sure the truck is aligned to the "Thruen specs". You can google that or I'll find the link when I get the chance.

Just for reference, I run 35's a 2.5" level and my truck still has all it's original stock steering components and it drives great with 100K miles on it now. Most likely you have something worn or loose?

It’s got 165k miles, I’ll check the front end out and see how it looks !

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
As others have stated, get the front end off the ground and check the components. The CTD is a heavy beast and I wouldn't be surprised if you need ball joints at the minimum.